+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Season

Hybrid View

Dogpatch if you were near I'd give you a pair of those cleats you needed. Got them on a job but never used them. Let us know how your doing.

Mol1jb is that a sureflo pump your using? How's it working out? What kind of pressure? Using it on flat runs or slopes? I think this is what next year's addition will be for me.

Prairietrapper first post congrats... welcome to the forum. Seems you have been tapping for a while. Chasing sap through the neighborhood would be a pain. What kind of sugar content are you getting on those neighborhood trees? Whatever are you located?
    8th year making sugar
    120 taps second year on vac

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Sugar on the reds was just a frickle under 2 % when I collected today. The Sugar maples were lower, I have buckets on those, so it is easy to check separately.
    Yes I have been tapping a while! I started helping dad on this hobby back in the 90's just when he really needed it. then as he got older and less able I started helping him more. about 2010 ish he hung up is stirring spoon for good, other than watching the evaporator while I ate dinner etc. I am in Mclean county.
    IS anything running up north? ( I did not check weather for up there lately)
    Last edited by prairietapper; 02-16-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Had a great run yesterday. 129 gallons from 100taps on buckets. One tree gave 9 gallons. Put the new homemade RO to work. So now we can reduce water by 30 gallons between cooking and RO. This really changes how much time I have to cook.
    8th year making sugar

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Having a great run here too. 150 gal. on 82 taps on 2 different days. 2% sugar which is better than last year's average of 1.7.

Quote Originally Posted by TreeTapper2 View Post
    Had a great run yesterday. 129 gallons from 100taps on buckets. One tree gave 9 gallons. Put the new homemade RO to work. So now we can reduce water by 30 gallons between cooking and RO. This really changes how much time I have to cook.
    good deal! I shall have one some day! ( RO that is)
    It looks like a big week coming our way!

Pulled my taps yesterday learned a lot for my first year like sap goes bad and what budding syrup tastes like. Also I was little late getting started didn't start till March when I came across an Maple tree syrup supplies end cap at Farm&Fleet. Bring on 2019 ill be all set to go, I hope!

FarmerBob there is still time to run before this addiction gets a hold of you. If not you will be in the same boat as the rest of us.Welcome.

dogpatches advice is wise..
    but not as fun! welcome Farmer

That's great dogpatch. Our trees have been running higher suger as well. Silvers 2-2.2% and sugars 2-3% . That just means more golden delicious for all!
    8th year making sugar

2x4 Divided pan.
    Homemade RO 4x42XLE
    Shurflo 4048 pump

Quote Originally Posted by TreeTapper2 View Post
    That's great dogpatch. Our trees have been running higher suger as well. Silvers 2-2.2% and sugars 2-3% . That just means more golden delicious for all!
    NICE! The highest I have seen this year is 2... and I am glad to have that!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast