+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southeast Ohio 2018

My first thought this morning when I went to check tanks......ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! My main collection tank was sitting about an inch over the 150 gallon mark. That is three 3/16 lines with a total of 48 taps. My other two barrels were full as well ....over 250 gallons off 107 taps. I cooked 125 and quit from exhaustion. I just let the lines run on the ground today until I could get tanks back under them. I hope the sap I'm holding keeps. If I had someone making syrup near me I'd give it away, but I don't know anyone within 30-40 miles. Note to self, back off the taps on 3/16th next year.

I hear ya buckeye. Having a sap flood here too. Let things yesterday and lastnight. Ro will be busy this afternoon. Made 6 gal Wed night.
    2x8 SMOKY LAKE and homemade arch
    SMOKY LAKE SS filter press
    825i JD gator
    300 taps and growing
    SL steam bottler

Yep it is sweet to see homemade stuff work as it should, Sap flowing here like crazy should have approx. 500 gal to process on sat. I have a full 275 in the woods that I cant get to the mud here is incredible this year. Might have to take the CAT down there n collect that lol. Cant wait to see the whole process work from adding sap at one end and bottling on the other continuously sounds like a good plan but I will give an update later on.
    150 taps on gravity
    6' x 3 1/2' homemade pan
    wood fired homemade evaporator out of 500 gal propane tank
    2018 ranger sap collector

How is your sap holding up in the heat?
    I RO'd and boiled 600 gallon Wed afternoon- didn't finish until 0500 yesterday- got about 3 hours sleep. We had to go to town yesterday morning- got back about 1 pm and my 330 collection tank was running over- I pumped it up to the sugar house and started the RO- got the fire lit- Boiled about an hour before near disaster. Before I started I had re-arranged some of the fire brick "diffusers" on my grate- I have a home made arch, home made AUF- trying to get some more heat for a more consistent boil in my flue pan- whatever I did worked for my syrup pan anyway- in between stacking wood, putting new filters in the filter tank, checking RO, checking head tank valve, level and float valve- I neglected my syrup pan- she bubbled up and scorched- I had my OS bucket- started dumping in, scared to DEATH my an was goin to warp. I got the arch shut down, cooled down and inspected my pan, just a small scorched area about 1 sq ft, it peeled right off with a plastic scraper- I am extremely thankful it wasn't worse but pretty disappointed to lose all that sweet and I figure the concentrate was toast by this morning. My pans hold about 14 gallon, had 45 gallon of 5% concentrate in the head tank. I've got 18 gallon of syrup made so far, and my customers are knocking down my door for more more more- I'm wore slap out. Thankfully it's raining cats and dogs and windy out right now I'm sittin my butt on the couch takin it easy- for another hour, then it's out to scrub & soak the pans, the tanks, the filters, pits and pans, everything- I am looking forward to the freeze tonight to maybe recharge the trees. Glad to hear you all having plenty of sap too.
    2013 15 taps- almost a gallon
    2014-2016 planning and acquisition- moved back home to the family farm in Jun 16
    2017 125 on tubing -11 gallons
    18"x6' drop flue on home made arch
    2018 Tapped 24/25 Jan
    240 so far on 3/16
    12 bags
    Deer Run 125 RO

https://www.facebook.com/Tarheelbill...335/?pnref=lhc

I feel your pain Ben. I just came in from finally catching up. All sap is cooked, and the shack cleaned up, and I scrubbed the head tank. I still have to bottle two days worth. I don't know how much sap I missed, but Wednesday I just couldn't handle any more sap and I let the lines run on the ground all day. I kid you not it was practically squirting out of those 3/16th lines. I guess I must have them set up about right.

with a small rig and no RO I just can't handle those tsunamis. I cooked the last of the hold over sap today. It was a bit cloudy, but still good. I had it stashed in shaded woods gully. I made all dark syrup today because of it, but the chief and high commander has already confiscated it. You know they have all the different "cuts" of bourbon, well the dark rich syrup is Mom-ma's cut in this household. I was really afraid it was gonna spoil. It was close as the sap had a slight musty smell cooking, but we chilled the syrup and tasted it and it's very good. Sure was full of sugar sand though. I had to triple filter, but I got it sharp and clear.

I hear ya on the mud dugan55. I have totally destroyed my back field and road into it. This has to be the sloppiest mess of a season I have ever had. Next year I may run lines clear to the driveway, just to avoid this.

If I had good sugar content I would have the most syrup I ever made, but it has been averaging 1.3. Today it bumped up to 1.6.

I do not think I will be boiling much longer. We have daffodils coming up.

John B has been coming over and keeping me company in the shack, Ben. He asked about you and said if he knew where you lived he'd drive down. He was wondering how your getting along with the tanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12