+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Northwest Ohio 2018

Default Northwest Ohio 2018

I am watching Accuweather and the Weather Channel page too much! I know after a colder day this Wednesday we get another warm-up for the end of the week into next weekend. The earliest I have tapped before is January 27th. When I have tapped early in previous years I have been glad I did. Anyone tapping this week or already making syrup?
    RC Maple

14X14 sugarhouse - new for 2012
    RO Bucket - RB10 - New for 2019
    2x3 barrel evaporator with continuous flow pan
    55 taps - most on buckets
    This is next year!

Hey r/c ,
    We are producing syrup near green springs, tapped tubing but waiting on bags little longer. Sap running 2.5 - 3 for us so far

It took a lot of will power not to put taps in this weekend given the 14 day but the whole month of Feb and most of March looks ideal at this point on time so going to preserve our taps for what are hopefully big runs at that time
    2019: tapped 2/20/19, 92 taps on buckets
    2018: tapped 2/11/18, pulled 3/27/18 75 taps on same buckets 'Optimizer' inverted filter rack =30.5 gallons finished syrup
    2017: tapped 2/5/17 fuel oil tank evaporator two 18"x28" flat pans, 50 taps on drop lines/Buckets, Small scale RO =11 gallon syrup
    2016: tapped 1/25/16 1st year, 25 taps on buckets, copper kettle over a fire =4.5 gallon syrup
    6x4 gator sap collector and kid hauler

I put out 90 on a shurflo this weekend. Only time will tell but it was hard looking at the two week forecast and seeing three solid looking runs and not tapping. Waiting on the buckets at this point.

There are some good looking days in the forecast. I think it would be a no-doubter if I wasn't all on buckets. I agreed to go out of town for a weekend (2/16-2/18) and I hoped that it would stay cold until after that but maybe I better start earlier if I can to make up for the lost weekend. If the first taps slow up I can move to another woods later. My sugar content dropped to below 2% last year for the first time. I was at 1.84%. Glad to see your sugar content doing well Greensprings!
    RC Maple

This is next year!

These warm days are tempting but I’m going to wait. Good luck to the early guys.
    2020 89 taps on buckets. 2 x 4, 3-channel, flat pan, evaporator

Pushing the 30gal produced mark so far, 3/16 is no joke! Tapped jan 11th. Bags will be put up 1st thaw in Feb!

Quote Originally Posted by Greensprings sugar View Post
    Pushing the 30gal produced mark so far, 3/16 is no joke! Tapped jan 11th. Bags will be put up 1st thaw in Feb!
    Congrats! You're already off to a good start. If I was going to make some syrup in January I would have tapped today. It looks like starting in February it will be getting colder for a while. I figured I would keep the buckets in the shed. This weekend looks good for sap and the middle of next week too. Good luck!
    RC Maple

This is next year!

RC been following you,it is sure hard not to tap with this weather. A fellow down the road is tapped,he is on all buckets.I have not talked to him,so don't know how he is doing.Let us all know when you tap.

I can't wait to be able to say that I'm all in but that won't be today. After this Wednesday I don't see another day where the temperature begins with a 4 until the last week of February. Hopefully that will change and this cold spell will only be a couple weeks. I know I could always move my taps if the first ones slow up later but those trees are farther away and I don't want to spend half the season doing that. Can't wait to make some steam!
    Screenshot (42).jpg
    RC Maple

This is next year!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast