+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CT 2018 - How's it been running?

Default CT 2018 - How's it been running?

Put out my very first 3/16 gravity line yesterday with 25 drops. Thank you Matt!! Going to tap it in a few hours this morning. Just wondering how things ran yesterday for folks that are tapped?

Put in a few in Durham yesterday morning, then put 30 in Somers yesterday mid-day. All due South taps were running before I could put in the pull the bit. Spent the rest of the day prepping the shack. By 6pm had a few trees give a half gallon or more but the majority gave about a half to a quart each. Only directly due South really ran. Ran a little less in Durham through the day. But not bad for the first day of this warming trend. good luck out there!
    1990-2013 - 35+, 7/16, on milk jugs+3gal galv buckets, 55gal drum firebox, 125 year old 10 gallon porcelain pot, outdoor boiling fun.
    2014 - 40+ Built a 10x12 sugar shack, new 2x3 Mason.
    2015-2023 - 75+ 5/16 Buckets, 3/16 tube, DIY RoBucket, on the mason in the shack, me, the dogs, sometimes the ole'lady, and defiantly a few beers.

Quote Originally Posted by Stiets View Post
    Put out my very first 3/16 gravity line yesterday with 25 drops. Thank you Matt!! Going to tap it in a few hours this morning. Just wondering how things ran yesterday for folks that are tapped?
    Start warming up that drill finger!
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

Quote Originally Posted by Person25 View Post
    Put in a few in Durham yesterday morning, then put 30 in Somers yesterday mid-day. All due South taps were running before I could put in the pull the bit. Spent the rest of the day prepping the shack. By 6pm had a few trees give a half gallon or more but the majority gave about a half to a quart each. Only directly due South really ran. Ran a little less in Durham through the day. But not bad for the first day of this warming trend. good luck out there!
    Nice report, thanks !
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

Surprisingly low (to me) production Saturday, considering the amount I collected last week. About 3 cups per tap into today; there's still a good blanket of snow on the ground here in Plymouth, so I'm guessing the trees are still thawing. It didn't get to below freezing until around midnight, which is good. I can hear things slowly dripping when I walk around outside.

So far this weekend I'm looking at around 60gallons out of 51 taps. Both my lines are a steady stream still going into the barrles.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

Quote Originally Posted by Person25 View Post
    Nice to see someone else from Somers! I live in Stafford and collect from Woodstock over to Somers and still have my sugarhouse at my parents house in Somers. Good luck with your season!
    About 300 taps
    2'x6' air tight arch
    Semi complete 12'x24' sugarhouse in Somers, CT
    My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/CapturedNature
    My eBook: Making Maple Syrup in your Backyard

I picked up 22 gallons from 25 taps on 3/16 gravity. Tapped them yesterday at 12:30pm had 22 gallons this morning at 5:45am. It was still running this morning when I collected. Hopefully it keeps running, Might fire up this afternoon to start sweetening the pan.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    Nice to see someone else from Somers! I live in Stafford and collect from Woodstock over to Somers and still have my sugarhouse at my parents house in Somers. Good luck with your season!
    Oh hey would you look at that, Somers brothers! I opperate similar to you, I spend most of my time in Durham, close to work and collect some there but maintain my residence, a majority of taps and the sugar shack at my family farm/compound in Somers. Good luck to you as well!
    1990-2013 - 35+, 7/16, on milk jugs+3gal galv buckets, 55gal drum firebox, 125 year old 10 gallon porcelain pot, outdoor boiling fun.
    2014 - 40+ Built a 10x12 sugar shack, new 2x3 Mason.
    2015-2023 - 75+ 5/16 Buckets, 3/16 tube, DIY RoBucket, on the mason in the shack, me, the dogs, sometimes the ole'lady, and defiantly a few beers.

All tapped in Durham. Sap’s running well, content is in the dumps though. Just a hair under 1%

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast