+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: 2018 Season

Funny, that is where I got my flats pans as well. The thermometer I got on amazon.

Joe

Plutoman15 explained it well.

Now remember the boiling point of water will change from day to day and from one location and another.
    At the house we are at about 800' above sea level and I found that with the thermometer that I use the "normal" boiling point for me is 210 degrees. 212 is at sea level. So I aim for 217 degrees.
    Now as low pressure and high pressure weather fronts come thru that will change the boiling point a little, that is why you should check it at the time when you are finishing your syrup. I check and adjust my thermometer on the evap everyday right before I start to boil.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

In post #57 of this thread, I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    I was explaining to my grandson how maple syrup production works. First you tap more trees. Then comes the year when you can't keep up, so you buy more equipment. Then, since you have more equipment, you tap more trees. Then comes the year when you can't keep up, so you buy more equipment.
    There's no equipment on my shopping list for next year. I barely managed to process Monday and Tuesday's huge run without any of the sap going bad. There were two nights (Monday night and Tuesday night), that I got little sleep because I kept going out every hour and a half or so to keep my stovetop-evaporator and RO running all night. But it was all worth it. My wife and I just finished bottling it up last night. We made more syrup in two days than the entire rest of the year combined.
    550 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    Homemade RO
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Loves tapping in snow

I'm working on getting all my collection barrels brought in to be pressure washed.
    I have one cage tank that I'll haul water to and flush out. Tomorrow finish filtering and bottling.
    We have boiled 2000 gallons of sap, but sure don't have the syrup to show for it.
    Looks like the next run early in the week, let's hope we get back into a freeze thaw cycle.
    Hopefully there will be a couple of weeks yet of sugaring! Remember to have fun everyone,
    work is overrated anyway!
    90 taps on vacuum
    140 taps on 5/16 gravity
    88 taps on 3/16 gravity
    about 45 buckets
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    In post #57 of this thread, I wrote:

There's no equipment on my shopping list for next year. I barely managed to process Monday and Tuesday's huge run without any of the sap going bad. There were two nights (Monday night and Tuesday night), that I got little sleep because I kept going out every hour and a half or so to keep my stovetop-evaporator and RO running all night. But it was all worth it. My wife and I just finished bottling it up last night. We made more syrup in two days than the entire rest of the year combined.
    Nice work HowardR! I pulled a 3hr of sleep night a few nights ago. Came into the house around 4am....wrote a note in BIG letters "DO NOT WAKE ME UP"....Laid it on the table beside the couch and passed out on the couch. 7am my wife wakes me up..."aren't you going to work".

Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the lesson Joe. Much appreciated. I am gonna run to Wally World tomorrow and see if they have any candy thermometers. If they dont, i reckon Johnnies restaurant place should. Got one of my steamer pans there, but it was expensive!
    Go to Target or Walmart and get a digital thermometer that has a removable probe on a wire. $15-$20. don't ever submerge the probe- but if you just put the tip in () you'll get a good reading. Much easier to read than a candy thermometer.
    Last edited by sshirk5573; Yesterday at 10:47 AM.

I see what you did there sshirk. I stopped at walmart this morning and got both a digital and regular thermometer. So should be good to go! Thanks for the info!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678