+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Season

Funny, that is where I got my flats pans as well. The thermometer I got on amazon.

Joe

Plutoman15 explained it well.

Now remember the boiling point of water will change from day to day and from one location and another.
    At the house we are at about 800' above sea level and I found that with the thermometer that I use the "normal" boiling point for me is 210 degrees. 212 is at sea level. So I aim for 217 degrees.
    Now as low pressure and high pressure weather fronts come thru that will change the boiling point a little, that is why you should check it at the time when you are finishing your syrup. I check and adjust my thermometer on the evap everyday right before I start to boil.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

In post #57 of this thread, I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    I was explaining to my grandson how maple syrup production works. First you tap more trees. Then comes the year when you can't keep up, so you buy more equipment. Then, since you have more equipment, you tap more trees. Then comes the year when you can't keep up, so you buy more equipment.
    There's no equipment on my shopping list for next year. I barely managed to process Monday and Tuesday's huge run without any of the sap going bad. There were two nights (Monday night and Tuesday night), that I got little sleep because I kept going out every hour and a half or so to keep my stovetop-evaporator and RO running all night. But it was all worth it. My wife and I just finished bottling it up last night. We made more syrup in two days than the entire rest of the year combined.
    680 5/16 taps on gravity
    red and sugar maples
    2 Homemade ROs
    Stovetop evaporator
    Filter press by Daryl
    Star San Tube Pump
    Drying rack for hydrometer
    Loves tapping in snow

I'm working on getting all my collection barrels brought in to be pressure washed.
    I have one cage tank that I'll haul water to and flush out. Tomorrow finish filtering and bottling.
    We have boiled 2000 gallons of sap, but sure don't have the syrup to show for it.
    Looks like the next run early in the week, let's hope we get back into a freeze thaw cycle.
    Hopefully there will be a couple of weeks yet of sugaring! Remember to have fun everyone,
    work is overrated anyway!
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Quote Originally Posted by HowardR View Post
    In post #57 of this thread, I wrote:

There's no equipment on my shopping list for next year. I barely managed to process Monday and Tuesday's huge run without any of the sap going bad. There were two nights (Monday night and Tuesday night), that I got little sleep because I kept going out every hour and a half or so to keep my stovetop-evaporator and RO running all night. But it was all worth it. My wife and I just finished bottling it up last night. We made more syrup in two days than the entire rest of the year combined.
    Nice work HowardR! I pulled a 3hr of sleep night a few nights ago. Came into the house around 4am....wrote a note in BIG letters "DO NOT WAKE ME UP"....Laid it on the table beside the couch and passed out on the couch. 7am my wife wakes me up..."aren't you going to work".

Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the lesson Joe. Much appreciated. I am gonna run to Wally World tomorrow and see if they have any candy thermometers. If they dont, i reckon Johnnies restaurant place should. Got one of my steamer pans there, but it was expensive!
    Go to Target or Walmart and get a digital thermometer that has a removable probe on a wire. $15-$20. don't ever submerge the probe- but if you just put the tip in () you'll get a good reading. Much easier to read than a candy thermometer.
    Last edited by sshirk5573; 02-23-2018 at 09:47 AM.

I see what you did there sshirk. I stopped at walmart this morning and got both a digital and regular thermometer. So should be good to go! Thanks for the info!

Since there was no sap today to speak of I finished and filtered syrup. The year total is climbing, slowly.

Also took advantage of the down time and took everything out of the evap pans and cleaned them, well at least they are right now pickled. I will give it a good scrub and rinse tomorrow that way I will have nice clean pans for either what I see as the last few runs of the season or an early start to cleaning things up for the end of the season.

Funny thing is that this year, so far, is an exact copy of last season.
    2017: tapped 1/21, 1st sap brought in 1/22 and last sap brought in 2/22
    2018: tapped 1/20, 1st sap brought in 1/21 and last sap, well I'm hopping there is still more to come.

Sugar content is lower this season, and so far I am about 700 gals short in sap from what I got this same time last season.
    Between both those I do not foresee have a total gals of syrup higher than last season.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

I have all my filtering and bottling caught up. We filled a 5 gallon drum with the last of the syrup we made.
    Everything for collecting sap is rinsed out and ready to go.
    Should of done the evaporator also , but if it doesn't give a run here on Tuesday, I might try and just get it all boiled down.
    Hoping the season isn't over as I'm at about a third of what I would like to make.
    I've been diligent this year at staying on top of things, have everything pretty much streamlined for maximum efficiency
    But if the weather doesn't cooperate we'll have to settle for what we get.
    I was sold out of syrup last year in July, if my people get wind of how poor a year it is
    they will clean me out in no time! I won't buy syrup to resell, too many people ask if I make it all here,
    and I'm not changing that.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

Folks,
    Resting and visiting other sugarmakers in the area. Last Tuesday was a large run and it spilled over into Wed and thursday. We gathered 1200 gallons of sap and made 25 gallons of syrup.
    Couple pictures of the granddaughters gathering.

Temp was near 70 deg F.
    We are not getting much sap at this time. Havent had a freeze. Maybe Sunday night???

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast