+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Southern Ohio - Just Tapped

Quote Originally Posted by BAP View Post
    That is a True, Diehard, Sugarmaker.
    BAP, it didn't kill me. But is could have I was out all day working on tubing & mainline, cutting in new drops. I came in at dark to eat, grabbed a headlight and a couple LED work lights, and headed back out with the drill and bit. I found a lateral that I had forgot to connect, so I proceeded to put a big nasty blood blister on the inside of my left thumb with my tubing tool, slipped down a 20ft hill side, dropped one of my lights off a rock cliff, all before I got the first tap in, so I decided to call it a night. Not so much die hard as stubborn.

I did manage to get 183 taps in Wed & Thurs. I found my first squirrel chew, and second, and third, all in the same stretch of line- Funny those 3/16 fittings go in a lot easier to squeeze in when they are wet with sap. Also funny, I found the bubbling leak, spliced in a connector. Proud of myself for fixing my first leak, I stood back and beamed. Well there 6" below, was another one, just as many bubbles. Spliced in another connector-6" below that, ANOTHER one! lol. I had sap all over me and filled one of the pockets of my tool bag. Good luck everyone with this years season!
    '12 15 jugs - Steam pans
    '17 125 3/16 - 18" x 72" drop flue on homemade arch
    '18 240 3/16 - Deer Run 125
    '19 450 3/16 - Converted RO to electric/added a membrane
    '20 600 3/16 - Maple Pro 2x6 Raised Flue, added AOF/AUF
    '21 570 3/16 - Built steam hood, Smoky Lake filter press
    '22 800 3/16 - Upgraded RO to 4 4x40
    '23 500 3/16 - Re-plumbed RO, new "Guzzler"
    '24 500 3/16 - Steam Away, DIY 8x40 RO

I haven't seen any of the southern producers posting for a day or two. I suppose you're all busy boiling sap. The last two days have been full days for me with big runs. I cooked 295 gallons of sap the last few days. I'm ready for a break.

Friday night was the first boil. Ro to 4% and boiled down 125 gal and made about 1.5 gal. Today boiled down 150ish of 4% and and made about 7 gal. Shurflo pumps are keeping me busy working leaks and finding the sweet spots to keep sap ladders working. It's been fun so far though.
    2x8 CDL raised flue w/ hoods
    SMOKY LAKE SS filter press
    825i JD gator
    400 taps and growing
    SL steam bottler
    250 CDL RO

My first boil on Sunday. The gravity line produced more sap than I thought, RO produced 4%, boiler worked great, ended the day with a little less than a gallon. It was a learning experience, but loved every minute of it. My gravity line was the best decision this forum talked me into! Thanks for all the help!

Collect 260 gal of raw amd will concentrate that down. Worried about freezing in my head tank tonight while boiling. Will have to get creative. Tank sits outside but I can boil off about 60gal an hour.
    2x8 CDL raised flue w/ hoods
    SMOKY LAKE SS filter press
    825i JD gator
    400 taps and growing
    SL steam bottler
    250 CDL RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12