+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern Adirondack Tap Timing

We tapped all 200 trees last weekend and after letting the snot out of the lines till Wednesday started collecting. Only collected 100 gallons since then. The trees aren't letting it up yet but it's coming. Tapped another dozen trees Friday and still frozen but we're ready.

i'm just south of you in thurman and i put around 45 taps in today, good flow and weather looks favorable for a good 10 days. should get 1st boil in by weekend couple of gallons !

I connected our taps (about 60) to our gravity lines Saturday and Sunday. Little to no flow. strikeee - I'm surprised you had that much flow that weekend; good to hear! Our laterals and main line were still frozen so we had to wait for them to thaw anyways (remnants of flushing the lines at the end of last season). I left the mainline open in a 5 gal bucket to drain the snot, knowing it would likely flow Monday and/or Tuesday.

Went back up Wednesday after work to connect it to our storage tanks. The 5 gallon bucket was overflowing..not telling how much actually went on the ground. A good sign for sure, and it's hard to say, but, it tends to be locally much colder in our neck of the woods so we may still be behind the curve. Hoping for our first big boil the first weekend of March. Let it flow!

up cutting firewood and some hemlock for the saw mill, checked about half the 5 gal. buckets and all had from 1 -2 1/2 gals.of sap, but not much if any flow today, hoping it picks up fri and sat. maybe boil on sunday. i like to get around 120 gals of sap before i boil. last year did about 10 gals of syrup, to much, still have about a gal. left so maybe only 3 boils this year !

back up to property for more cutting of firewood, another slow day. lines were frozen and never thawed, freezing rain around 3 so packed up and headed out. hopefully it picks up tomorrow !

collected around 100 gals sunday boiled all day monday and finished tues. morning 1.80 gals. of light amber ! hopefully another boil this weekend!

finished 2nd boil this am another 1.5 gals of light amber, hope to get 2 more in and i'll have my target amount for the yr !

Tapped 2/20, had a few good runs (150 taps on 3/16 gravity lines), made 5 gallons of syrup on Sunday the 4th, and 1.5 gallons last Sunday (the 11th). Everything is pretty much frozen up at this point, and unfortunately looks to stay that way for a bit (high of 25 this weekend and lows in the single digits?!). We're up to about 14 gallons of syrup total YTD.

I'm also in your neck of the woods (in Johnsburg, but very close to the Thurman line).

just did my 3rd boil, i thought the same that the lines and buckets would be frozen.... was i wrong ! collected 205 gals on tuesday morn and started to boil around 2:30 till 9:30 covered pan and boiling again by 7:30 till 1:am. finished off this am 3 1/4 gals of a little darker than 1st 2 boils. still only getting around 1.6 sugar in sap. maybe 1 more boil !

watching the 10 day forecast and looks like the cold will shut things down. went up to pick up trailer and snowmobiles today for some last chance riding and checked some buckets and it was running so even if its cold the sun is getting higher each day and melts the ice and trees quickly. should be ready for last boil next week.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast