+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Southern Adirondack Tap Timing

Default Southern Adirondack Tap Timing

Hi All,

New to the forum, excited to learn from, and, share with, you all!

We have property in Johnsburg, NY (southern ADKS). Just over 60 taps, gravity lines, (2) 55 gallon storage barrels, and a homemade evaporator. Before that we had buckets. We've been boiling for about 5-6 years by now.

Last year, we missed the sweet spot by tapping a little late, due to the wonky weather last winter/spring, and ended up with a disappointing haul. The year before we tapped around the same time and finished almost 5 1/2 gallons.

Those with southern ADK sugarbushes: when will you be tapping this season?

1 hr southwest of you and with the cold weather we have had,i will tap as I usually do,presidents week in feb

Same with me unless something major weather wise happens Ill be in on presidents week as Im on vacation. We will probably get a good snowstorm before then because ive only once ever tapped on bare ground.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Weather looks good to tap this weekend. Was hoping to Hold out another week but can't argue with the weather

I started on Presidents' Day last year also, but that was a week or two earlier than usual for us. We're up next to the Hoffman notch.

In the past 7-8 years I've tapped any where from before 1/20 to mid March. I watch the 15 day forecast and start tapping as soon as I see sap flow weather appear in the forecast. Since it has been so cold, it will take a few days once it warms to thaw the trees, watch for that. Mid thirties take a very long time to thaw a tree that may be 10-15F inside. Low forties do it much faster.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Like I was saying 15 days ago that I have only once tapped on bare ground. Since that post we have gone from bare ground to what looks like 2 plus feet of snow and snowshoes. The nice thing as maybe the snowpack will help moderate the temps and extend the season at the end. I'm still shooting for Presidents week. I drilled a test hole in a yard tree in direct sun yesturday and it was still frozen solid.
    2021 230 Taps on vacuum
    Smokylake 2X6 pan set with auto drawoff
    Homebuilt 2 4x40 membrane RO
    Homebuilt filter press
    Rebuilt arch with under and over the fire air we have named V 2.0
    Smokylake steam bottler
    Hoods and preheater
    500 gallon vertical polytank to store sap for RO
    Adding a laser eye to my bottler for autofill/stop

Thanks for following up! We've got anywhere between 12-16" of snow in the woods at our place.

We tapped one tree 2 weekends ago (test hole) and hung a bucket. It flowed 6-8 ozs. that Sunday and hasn't flowed since.

We are tapping all of our trees this weekend in anticipation of the warm weather coming through next week...may be too warm!

Regardless, I foresee this being a decent season so long as the weather doesn't get too wonky!

Great points, thanks!

Began to tap 2/15 with sap flowing in the Southern Adirondacks!
    LOB

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast