+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Steam bottler vs water jacket

Default Steam bottler vs water jacket

I am planning on getting a smoky lake steam bottler/filter unit for the upcoming season. Is there a huge difference between the steam unit and the water jacket unit other then price? I usually only bottle 5-8 gallons at a time. But I'm getting pretty sick of cone filters and filling bottles with funnels and ladles.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

I have a SL steam bottler. It is a 110 volt model but can be used on a gas burner. I have water boiling over on the counter top every time I use it. It is a pita. It does heat faster than the water jacketed one that was 110 volt.
    I sold the water jacketed canner in September.
    Home of the machined 5 X 5 Hand Filter Presses Made in the USA
    Chairman of Lake Erie Maple Expo
    Dealer for DSD Stars, MemProTec RO'S, SUNRISE METAL SHOP, Bosworth Pumps
    Becker Vacuum Pumps

I have never used a steam bottler. But I do use a water jacketed bottler. They work slick. Fill with water and turn the heat on. That simple. No funnels needed. Has a 1/2" bottling spout.

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I am planning on getting a smoky lake steam bottler/filter unit for the upcoming season. Is there a huge difference between the steam unit and the water jacket unit other then price? I usually only bottle 5-8 gallons at a time. But I'm getting pretty sick of cone filters and filling bottles with funnels and ladles.
    I have the steam bottler, it works fine, if you set the burner properly it just steams the bottom of the pan and doesn't boil over.

That being said if I had to do it all over again I would spend the extra money and get the water jacketed version with the larger heating element. I think this would be much simpler to use and when I get a Filter Press next year I think knowing the electric unit will maintain the temperature you want would be a real selling point for me.
    Last edited by n8hutch; 10-13-2016 at 07:30 AM.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

So, this works by suspending the syrup compartment over a pan of boiling water?
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    Save your money and look for one of the commercial coffee urns. I have a 14 gallon , 2 separate 7 gallon containers. This is water jacketed so as a bonus I have 28 gallons of hot water . They have single units that would work great for your size operation. If your planning on 150 taps on vacuum in the future then one of Daryl's filter presses would be ideal. No need for anymore of those cone or flat filters and very little , if any, wasted syrup.
    CDL 30x10
    Homebuild R.O.
    Wes Fab filter press full bank w/air pump
    ornery wife
    1 mean Stihl 460 woods ported chainsaw

Also keep your eye on craigslist for a water jacketed wax melter, I found one 10 gallons, and they work great. They honey supply stores like Dadant and Walter Kelly have water jacketed bottlers/wax melters that are cheaper than the maple suppliers if your looking for new.

I'm usually all for making something work that was designed for something else but will do. But I've been noticing lately after building my RO this past off season that sometimes it's just better to buy something that was designed for maple. By the time it's jimmy rigged and a whole bunch of plumbing fittings to make it work ok but not great it ends up costing just the same as buying it new. I have looked at wax melters before. They would work but since I would like to use my bottler as a filter tank also I think I'm going to buy one that is designed for maple and comes ready to go. Saves a whole bunch of time and I can have the piece of mind knowing that if I have problems with it I can call someone that knows maple. I just wanted to know what the main differences were between a steam bottler and a water jacketed bottler.
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I have a SL steam bottler. It is a 110 volt model but can be used on a gas burner. I have water boiling over on the counter top every time I use it. It is a pita. It does heat faster than the water jacketed one that was 110 volt.
    I sold the water jacketed canner in September.
    So you prefer the steam bottler over the waterjacked bottler? It's faster?
    600 taps on vacuum
    CDL electric releaser
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

Food for Thought!

We have the Smoky Lake finisher/bottler. We have had it two years and last year refined our process and now it works really well. We actually run our syrup through the flat filters after the draw every time we boil. Once we have 5-8 gallons in the finisher we reheat and filter one more time. Check density and bottle. Be sure to stay between 180-190 degrees, we found if you go over 190 niter will start to form again BAM! cloudy syrup. Ended up with about 15 bottles that were cloudy. They cleared up but left niter in the bottom of the bottle.

Lano

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast