+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sp 22 oil

Default Sp 22 oil

What kind of oil do producers use in there Sp22 vacuum pumps? I've searched the forum but can't find a definite answer. Any help is appreciated.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I run vacuum oil from tractor supply. I change it about every two weeks or so when running 24/7
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Tractor supply vac oil and I change it after 3 weeks, but monitor the oil level daily.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I have ordered surge oil from Hambdy dairy supply....but if I can run tractor supply oil I might change over. That would make getting oil easier
    Matthew Cross
    Madison, Ohio
    400 taps on vacuum with surge sp-22
    200 buckets
    30 x 10 leader max
    w/ enhanced steam away and Pre-heater

I run Castrol Edge 5W-30 synthetic motor oil in mine. I add about a cup of oil per day when I run the pump around the clock. I pull 27" of vacuum with it and haven't had any problems with it.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Thanks for the replies! Russell, how many taps are you pulling off of? Is there a reason you choose to run that oil?
    What are others pulling for vacuum? Thanks, excited to have "real" vacuum this year.
    Remember to keep on ticking while the sap is dripping.
    2016- 50 buckets. Made 4 gallons.
    2022- 3750 taps + Smartrek! Made 1300 gallons.
    2023- 3750 taps after removing a pump house and connected two woods. Made 800 gallons.

I run 3.25 gallons (your brand) vacuum pump oil, 1.25 gallons bar and chain oil, 1/2 gallon marvel mystery oil. Mix in 5 gallon pail, drain pumps every 4-5 days max. if running around the clock.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    I run vacuum oil from tractor supply. I change it about every two weeks or so when running 24/7
    Not to ruin your day.....but 2 weeks is way too long to not be draining your oil. Those pumps aren't gonna last! You need to be doing it every 5 days if running around the clock. Oil is cheap when your pump ceases up.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Vacuum pumps should be run on nonfoaming oil. This will reduce wear that occurs when oil gets mixed with water. I have rebuilt pumps that were run when the oil foamed and it is nearly as bad as not running oil in the pump for a short time. When the wear points get hot enough some oil will get into the friction points and prolong the inevitable failure.

If you have a Southern States feed dealer around you ask them to get you their piston and rotary vacuum pump oil. I got in 2 pails for our store after I tested the oil. The price point I have it at is $59.99/ 5 gal pail.

If this is not an option check out TSC Dairyland Pump oil at the $14/ gallon range.

Delaval and Westfalia oil are name brand pump oils that will be much higher.

Good oil will start to vaporize at a temp of 180 to cool the pump and be caught in a reclaimer.

Oils that are for motors and engines will with stand higher heats and not cool the pump in this manor. They also foam unless they are labeled nonfoaming.

Oil is an investment. Spend a little more for a proper oil and your pump will last longer.

Good Luck!
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimatetreehugger View Post
    Thanks for the replies! Russell, how many taps are you pulling off of? Is there a reason you choose to run that oil?
    What are others pulling for vacuum? Thanks, excited to have "real" vacuum this year.
    I have a little over 700 taps and they are spread out which means that there are many long mainlines and laterals. I chose this oil because it is what we use in the new Volvo's at the dealership where I work as a technician. I get a discount on it too which helps.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast