+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smaller Quantities Sap Storage

Default Smaller Quantities Sap Storage

Any advice or experience with storing sap? How do other hobbyists store sap until they boil? Is it best to boil often so you don't store it for long periods of time?

Second year and only going to have about 15 taps.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bigrick_2u View Post
    Any advice or experience with storing sap? How do other hobbyists store sap until they boil? Is it best to boil often so you don't store it for long periods of time?

Second year and only going to have about 15 taps.

Thanks!
    Short answer, if it's cold out then in 5 gallon Tractor Supply buckets with lids in the sugar shack. These buckets are food grade. When it warms up later in the season it becomes a bit more involved trying to store sap. During the season when it's running hard I boil week nights, and weekends too.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

Keep it cold and boil as often as you can, I sometimes boil every day, at other times every other day depending on the sap amount and the temperature outside. My tanks are insulated but not refrigerated.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I can only boil on weekends. So, I put the sap in 5 gallon buckets and bury them in snow if it is available. If not, I line a trash barrel with a food grade liner and put in frozen milk jugs of sap to keep it cool.

I store in 5 gallon buckets with lids myself. Firehouse subs will sell the pickle buckets to you with lids for $2. I picked up two old refrigerators , took all the racks and drawers out of them. When they get full of buckets of sap , I boil. Also if its really cold , let those buckets of sap freeze and take the ice off. Its pretty much all water and this will cut down on boil time. Ive got 15-20 taps myself.

I use the first sap to make ice cubes (1-2 quart sized) These go in the sap to keep it cool until the next boil.
    2015: 17 taps, 2 gallons
    2016: 35 taps, 3.6 gallons
    2017: 60 taps, 2.7 gallons
    2018: 56 taps, 4.7 gallons

+ Reply to Thread