+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gast 2065 repair questions

Default Gast 2065 repair questions

I picked up 2 Gast 2065-V53 pumps locally. One is a little tight. Does not spin as freely as it probably should. Not sure if it's just because of the cold? No grinding or anything. The other spins very well but the guy said someone dumped motor oil in it. I was thinking about taking them apart to look at the vanes and see if there is any scoring. Saw a couple youtube vids but none for this exact model. Wondering if anyone could offer any advice on what I should do and what I should be careful not to do. And mostly, should I even bother cleaning up the one with the oil in it? Or is it no good now because of the motor oil?
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

I took it apart and cleaned it all out. It was really sticky oil in there but it's cleaned up nice now and looks like it should work well. I just need to get the correct size pulley and then do a test. There is a drip oiler of sorts mounted on the top of it. What do you guys use for oil in there? How much should I expect it to use. I thought this was a dry pump but now I'm not really sure. If anyone out there with a 2065 could chime in with any advice I am hoping to get some good sap out of this setup this year and I don't know much of anything about proper operation of these.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

We run the lubricated Gast 1550 pumps and use Tractor Supply Brand vacuum oil so I'm sure that would work in yours as well. Many of the producers that use the old farm pumps use that too. Our 1550s use minimal amounts of oil. A gallon will last a few years. We have three of the pumps and one has the same oiler as in the link below and the other two are a little different style. We took all of our pumps apart to clean and inspect like you did and all three pull 26" plus. Had to hone one to clean it up but as long as things are smooth and the vanes are not chipped or worn excessively you should be good to go. We are able to get bearings for the 1550 at our local Kaman Bearing store. Not sure about the 2065 though. I would assume you can. There is a wick in these oilers so be sure that is in good shape also. It looks like a pipe cleaner and I believe some have used pipe cleaners as replacements. http://gastmfg.com/products/compress...ate-drive/2065
    Last edited by MT Pockets Producer; 01-22-2018 at 07:07 AM.
    12 x 16 shack with 8 x 16 addition
    2 x 6 D&G raised flue with hood
    Homebuilt releasers
    220 taps on vac
    100 plus taps on buckets
    Gast 1550 on gas engine
    HF vac pump on generator

Thanks for the info MT. That helps! I just need to wire up a switch now and I'll be bench testing these some night this week.
    www.wickedsappy.com

+ Reply to Thread