+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stack on 2x3 evaporator

Default Stack on 2x3 evaporator

I have a Leader 2x3 evaporator. It has a 6" stack out the back of the box. I tried to add a blower auf but it blows smoke out of the door. I was thinking of adding a 6x6 by full width box on the upper back of the firebox and going up with a 4x18 to 8" stack to get better air flow to get a better boil. Can someone speculate as to whether this will work.

Can you post pictures of exactly what you have? Is the blower on a variable speed control?
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I'll get some pictures to post. The blower is not on a variable speed but I am planning to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by wlatrout View Post
    I'll get some pictures to post. The blower is not on a variable speed but I am planning to do that.
    That is easily done with a variable speed router motor speed control unit. Cost $20 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Router-Spee...QAAOSwfQRXMWbx
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn

Hard to tell how the smoke/heat exhaust without being able to see completely down into the unit. I can tell you that it does not take a lot of air to get a little 2 X 3 cooking hard. This is why I had to kick my blower down. I could get the stack red.

Maybe the CFM of the blower is too high???

I ordered a rheostat for the blower. Hopefully that and a larger opening for the exhaust I'll get a more even burn.

A six inch stack is enough for your setup. You just need to reduce the flow by restricting the inlet air flow or adding speed control such as a router rheostat as others have suggested. You can make an inlet damper out of a piece of flashing. Cut the flashing in a circle or oval so that it's bigger than the blower inlet. Attach with one screw and slide the flashing over the inlet until you are no longer blowing smoke out around the doors and pan. The arch needs to be under a slightly negative pressure even when running the blower to minimize damage to the arch. You can add some more 6 inch stack to increase the draft which will allow you to put in more blower air and burn faster.
    Leader 1/2 pint - Kawasaki Mule - Smoky Lake Filter Bottler
    24 GPH RO, 2 1/2 x 40 NF3 (NF270), 140 GPH (Brass with no relief valve ) ProCon pump
    2013 - 44 taps - 16 gallons syrup, 2014 - 109 taps - 26 gallons syrup
    2015 - 71 taps - 13.5 gallons syrup, 2016 - 125 taps - 24.25 gallons syrup
    2017 - 129 taps - 17.5 gallons syrup, 2018 - 128 taps- 18 gallons syrup
    2019 -130 taps - 18.5 gallons syrup, 2020 ~125 taps-19.75 gallons syrup

Thanks for the input.I"'ll give the extra stack a try. As it is now the stack is even with the highest point of the roof.

+ Reply to Thread