+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: North east ohio 2018

You definitely should do that. Use one pan for fresh sap and then the next two for sweet. Youll figure it out...But I would recommend finishing the final product on something where you can control the heat a little bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    You definitely should do that. Use one pan for fresh sap and then the next two for sweet. Youll figure it out...But I would recommend finishing the final product on something where you can control the heat a little bit better.
    Ok. I will do the warming pan on one. Once that pan is done, do you just pull the pan? The pans keep the smoke out (and direct it to the chimney) I thought.

Essentially you will have liquid in all the pans all the time. May as well not waste the heat.

I highly recommend you look at the homemade maple equipment section. There will be a ton of help with videos and pictures. loads of information from people doing the exact same thing you're doing.

Just finished 15 gallons of sap today from 5 taps over the last week. Made 6 cups!

First time doing this...my boiling point was 210.1, so I finished at 217.6. Digital thermometer jumps around a bit (+- 1.5) so I stopped the boil when it settled around 217.6.

I didn't see the froth that comes up in many of the YouTube videos, did I stop the boil too soon?

Also, it is very cloudy. Can't even see through the glass maple syrup bottles it's that opaque. Is this OK?

Not much sap over here this past week, but this morning looks like it started up. For a season that started with a bang, it's been cold and no sap for the past 6 days.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Awesome run happening here today, sugar is up a little and all this week looks really good

Just finished boiling off 90 gallons collected early this afternoon from yesterday's lite run Trees were just starting back up, some were running like there's no tomorrow. Even the 3/16 woke up and started pouring in. I definitely need to bring more wood in!
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Welcome Bucks... Did you filter? If you let it sit a few days you will see the "sand" drift to the bottom. You have to filter it out to keep it clear! I use a gravity fed cone filter. Cheap and easy to use but it takes forever! You can also use coffee filters but make sure it is hot when you filter. I have also in the past just let it sit and then carefully pour it out until you reach the sand. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen4jas View Post
    Welcome Bucks... Did you filter? If you let it sit a few days you will see the "sand" drift to the bottom. You have to filter it out to keep it clear! I use a gravity fed cone filter. Cheap and easy to use but it takes forever! You can also use coffee filters but make sure it is hot when you filter. I have also in the past just let it sit and then carefully pour it out until you reach the sand. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.
    I did filter. Maybe I didn't use enough filters? I ordered some more. Also, I will try the technique you just mentioned!

Update as of 3/21/2018:

3/16: Collected 15 gallons, boiled and got 6 cups syrup
    3/17: Collected 18 gallons, boiled and got 9 cups syrup
    3/21: Collected 66 gallons, will boil tomorrow

Looking like I'll end up with at least 3-4 gallons of syrup off of 9 trees (10 taps), and here I thought I was starting late!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161718192021 LastLast