+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: North east ohio 2018

Quote Originally Posted by heus View Post
    John you must have a warm woods. I haven't been able to get enough sap to boil since last Wednesday. I am only at 81 gallons made which is still less than 1/3 of my normal crop.
    Hues, Don't feel bad...what I boiled off yesterday was collected Wednesday, so I think we're on the same page. Nothing of note since then. Sure wish it wasn't so dark that's for sure. Clean things as I may; I can't make light to save my soul.
    John Allin

14x18 Hemlock Timber Frame Sugar House 2009
    Leader 2x6 w/Patriot Raised Flue Pan 2009
    Leader Steam Hood 2014 - Clear Filter Press 2015
    Leader Revolution Pan and SS Pre-Heater 2016
    CDL Hobby RO & Air Tech L25 Hi Vac Pump 2019
    06' Gator HPX to collect wood & sap
    14' Ski-Doo Tundra for winter work in the woods
    Great Family 3 grown kids+spouses and 7 grand kids who like the woods
    7th Gen Born in Canada - Raised in Chardon Ohio - Maple Capital of the World..<grin>.

Same here, just a little sap each day. Syrup is real dark. I am going to boil this weekend and then shut it down, made enough dark for 3 years of orders. Save the wood for better quality next year. Up to 60gal.Worst in 40 years. In 2000 only made 65 with more taps but some then we're on buckets.
    Maple Syrup producer of 40+years
    320 taps on vacuum all hard maple
    3x12 Lapierre evaporator
    South Madison

Quote Originally Posted by heus View Post
    John you must have a warm woods. I haven't been able to get enough sap to boil since last Wednesday. I am only at 81 gallons made which is still less than 1/3 of my normal crop.
    Jason,
    Across the line we are at the same gallon count (81). Got above freezing but not for long and I didnt even go check the containers. By 5:00 it was snowing again. Might get a run this weekend? But mainly we will do the Taste and Tour and entertain guests both days. If it does run we may collect in the evenings?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default Just Starting!

Obviously, after reading this thread I am waaaay late to the party. But, I just acquired my property and this is my first go at this! Ordered the taps last week, and tapped 10 sugar maples on my property (3 acres) on March 13th. Hoping to ride the next 2 weeks out! Built my first sugar shack (concrete block arch) and I'm hoping this weekend (Sat. - Tues., 3/17 - 3/20) will give me enough for a few boils!

March 13th gave me about 2" of sap in my 5 gallon buckets.
    March 15th has given me about 5" of sap in my 5 gallon buckets.

None of my sugar maples are showing any signs of budding. Looks like the 14 day forecast shows 10 days with below freezing nights and above 40 degree days.

I'm in Northwest Summit County.

Welcome Bucks! Enjoy the addiction.
    ya next week from Sunday on will be good... according to the current forecast. youll produce some nice dark amber for sure.
    Sugars wont bud for another couple week at least. This subtle freeze has extended the season, since usually im pulling taps the 3rd week or last week in march...

Quote Originally Posted by WoodButcher View Post
    Welcome Bucks! Enjoy the addiction.
    ya next week from Sunday on will be good... according to the current forecast. youll produce some nice dark amber for sure.
    Sugars wont bud for another couple week at least. This subtle freeze has extended the season, since usually im pulling taps the 3rd week or last week in march...
    Thanks! I have 3 6" steam pans to boil. Given that I have 10 5 gal buckets, when do I start boiling? When they are all half full?

With 3 steam pans that are ~1.5-2sq ft each im guessing.. you might boil around 3-5gph with a solid fire going. Usually you boil at 1gph per sq ft... but its usually 10-15% less than that due to wood, draft, etc.

when i started forever ago with a 30gal drum cut in half and then put that over an open fire (sigh... the good ol days...), i had 10-15 taps and would usually wait until the weekend since by then i had 8-16 hours of boiling ahead of me. good luck, and drink beer to stay warm!
    Last edited by WoodButcher; 03-15-2018 at 05:50 PM.

With 3 steam pans that are ~1.5-2sq ft each im guessing.. you might boil around 3-5gph with a solid fire going. Usually you boil at 1gph per sq ft... but its usually 10-15% less than that due to wood, draft, etc.

when i started forever ago with a 30gal drum cut in half and then put that over an open fire (sigh... the good ol days...), i had 10-15 taps and would usually wait until the weekend since by then i had 8-16 hours of boiling ahead of me. good luck, and drink beer to stay warm!
    I only have about 1/3 of each 5 gallon bucket full as of now. Should I boil now or wait until Saturday when the rest of the 5 gallon is filled up?

lets say you got 1.5g per bucket, thats 15 gallons right now. if it were me, i would boil that now to reduce it to practice before you get swamped. if its truly 15 gallons on sugar maples, you have about a quart of finished syrup in there. finish it up!

boil it down so that you are about 1" in each pan, no shallower than that... once you get there, finish it on a turkey fryer for finesse/control so you dont scorch your pans boiling too shallow, or bring it inside on the stove.

lets say you got 1.5g per bucket, thats 15 gallons right now. if it were me, i would boil that now to reduce it to practice before you get swamped. if its truly 15 gallons on sugar maples, you have about a quart of finished syrup in there. finish it up!

boil it down so that you are about 1" in each pan, no shallower than that... once you get there, finish it on a turkey fryer for finesse/control so you dont scorch your pans boiling too shallow, or bring it inside on the stove.
    It isn't going to get above 32 until Saturday morning. I think I will do it then

Also, I've seen videos where people were scooping from pan 1 into pan 2, pan 2 into pan 3. Should I just forget about that?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast