+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking At Friday

Hybrid View

Default Tapping in Brown County, ohio

Tapped 150 in Brown County today--looking promising.
    2009 A son (a schoolteacher) tapped trees on the farm for curious students

2010 Mom thought what the son done last year was pretty interesting, so boiled a small amount again.

2011 Became a family project. 150 taps on bags & buckets, a WF 2x4 evap, an old corn crib converted into a "Sugar Shack"---were addicted now and the ol' fun meter is "pegged" !!!

2012 thru 2017--still boiling, full throttle

I had 35 gallons of sap off the 70 taps. I noticed today there is still a lot of frost in the ground, so it's going to take a few days for them to really get running. The flow rate was picking up this evening when i checked the tank. I at least got some sweet built up in the pan.

We boiled 300 gallons yesterday, and even though our electric was off for the RO and our AUF, we are in love with our new evap. Drew off our first round around 3:00 pm and hung in for a second draw right before running out of sap in the gravity tank. I felt like a kid again! Hoping for another couple of good runs before we get that cold spell i am seeing in the extended forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

GSCampChris - I came across your posts and I'm curious where you are at? Where is a Girl Scout camp in Columbus and how many taps have you been doing? My son is in cub scouts and I'm looking at helping out at Camp Lazarus (boy scout camp). I think they did around 750 taps last year.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12