+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking At Friday

We boiled 300 gallons yesterday, and even though our electric was off for the RO and our AUF, we are in love with our new evap. Drew off our first round around 3:00 pm and hung in for a second draw right before running out of sap in the gravity tank. I felt like a kid again! Hoping for another couple of good runs before we get that cold spell i am seeing in the extended forecast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

I had three good days of runs. One day I lost a lot of sap because of a couple lines chewed in two, but I found them and fixed them. I have not had any big runs, but good. It took a few days to get the frost out of the ground. They quit Tuesday night and I am just holding that small run until it runs again. It looks like another good cycle starting today. My sugar has been a little better than last year and I hope will go up. My runs have been about .75 gal per tap, but I expect that to really pick up now that the ground is thawed.

I had a down day yesterday and I at least got some non Maple work done. I also moved some more wood to the sugar shack. With my fall season and this start I am ahead of the pace for the last three years, it looks to be a good year.

GSCampChris,

It's interesting that you had good production. In addition to the walnuts i tapped, I tapped a silver I normally don't use, just for comparison's sake. Bottom line is I got very little production to date...probably 2gallons/tap. And that was from the walnuts, whereas the silver has essentially not run at all. Could this be a difference between buckets vs. tubing? Regardless, I'm glad I held off on my primary trees, whether it's a collection method or a microclimate difference. Next decision will be Tuesday night, next weekend, or even beyond. This is only year 4 for me, so a lot of second-guessing and anxious excitement.

GSCampChris - I came across your posts and I'm curious where you are at? Where is a Girl Scout camp in Columbus and how many taps have you been doing? My son is in cub scouts and I'm looking at helping out at Camp Lazarus (boy scout camp). I think they did around 750 taps last year.
    2021: 28 taps. 18"x36" flat pan and dual natural gas burners.
    2020: 31 taps. 3 full size steam table pans on a custom 6x water heater natural gas burner setup.
    2019: 31 taps on silvers. Back porch gas cook top with 2 full size steam table pans. An amazing 14.9 gallons in my backyard!
    2018: 22 taps on 9 silvers. Propane turkey fryer and full size steam table pan on electric stove. I made 4.25 gallons in my backyard!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12