+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking At Friday

Default Looking At Friday

Looks like we are going to try and get about half of our taps out on Friday. We upgraded to tubing on vacuum and only have about half of our taps ready to go. So we plan to put out those 200 this weekend, and then continue to work on the other lines as we go.
    We also added an RO, and a new Smoky Lake 2x6 Evaporator this year. I feel like Christmas is arriving... i can hardly sleep!
    Now to prepare the wife......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

Default Friday looks good

Good luck! It sounds like you have made some serious upgrades this season. I hope it all goes as planned!

Myself and a couple other local folks are tapping this weekend as well. I plan on about 140 taps due to back issues. I wish I had tubing, but my trees are scattered and most are on my Mom's land.
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

I am with you Newman Maple, I am ready to pull the plug on my fall taps and move on to my Spring woods. So soon as i get a warmer day I am breaking down the evaporator and my tanks and washing up. I hope to reset gear and tap all my regular taps by Sunday. I think season is here. It would not surprise me that we see a warming trend just as extreme as this infusion of cold has been. It will be a scramble by early mid Feb and then probably a cold March.

I was thinking about tapping Friday, but I may just wait until next weekend, which looks like another warm-up should roll in. Last year, I held off right about the same time for an extra week+ and it didn’t work out. Hoping this year my gut is right a good Feb.

UPDATE

After some more thought, I decided to tap a few walnuts today. I've been meaning to give them a go, and if it turns out I tap them a bit early, and lose out on later season, oh well. Especially given that I have no idea whether we'll like the walnut syrup or not. I'll give the maples at least another week, as my goal is to maximize collection from limited taps.

Tapped first thing this morning, but no sap running yet. I assume the trees are still pretty frozen after the brutal cold we've had in the past month, but also unsure of when to expect walnuts to flow best. I guess I'll find out soon enough!

We put in about 70 taps on Friday and they were dripping by late afternoon. That is 2 of our 5 lines and we were pulling about 24 inches of vacuum. Going to get the other line that is fully prepared to tap tomorrow.
    Then... Monday we install the final breakers for our RO machine and we will be ready to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tapped 1/30/16 for the first time
    200 taps- all buckets

2017 Expansion
    300 taps- buckets in Columbus
    40 tap on tubes- Mt. Gilead

Using maple syrup to teach Science, Engineering, Technology and Math

We tapped everything Friday night and Saturday. We ended up with 163 taps. I really doubt I will have any huge run now with above freezing temps at night, but some of trees will run well Monday and Tuesday after a long hard freeze.

Let the fun begin!
    2' x 6' / Kawasaki Mule 610/twin 35 gal. tanks
    Arctic Cat TRV 650/Trailer w/ 60 gal. tank & 5 gal. jugs
    In the foothills of Appalachia
    http://www.facebook.com/newmanmaple

I put 70 out yesterday (Saturday) afternoon, all on 3/16th. The line were running pretty steady at dark last night. I suspect they will really cut lose today. I still have the 40 fall taps out and they are still running to, but I'm not sure I'm going to use them. The next 10 day forecast says it will be busy in the sugar shack. Game on boys

Default Tapping in Brown County, ohio

Tapped 150 in Brown County today--looking promising.
    2009 A son (a schoolteacher) tapped trees on the farm for curious students

2010 Mom thought what the son done last year was pretty interesting, so boiled a small amount again.

2011 Became a family project. 150 taps on bags & buckets, a WF 2x4 evap, an old corn crib converted into a "Sugar Shack"---were addicted now and the ol' fun meter is "pegged" !!!

2012 thru 2017--still boiling, full throttle

I had 35 gallons of sap off the 70 taps. I noticed today there is still a lot of frost in the ground, so it's going to take a few days for them to really get running. The flow rate was picking up this evening when i checked the tank. I at least got some sweet built up in the pan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast