+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question on MES Dolly Size

Default Question on MES Dolly Size

I have a pretty cramped sugar shack. Will be expanding it after this season. I'm going to buy a used MES Dolly this weekend. Before I go to get it, I want to frame up an insulated "box" that I can keep the dolly in, in the corner of my shack. But I can't seem to find the actual size of the unit listed anywhere. Is there anyone else out there with a dolly that could recommend the best size "box" to frame up to keep this in for the maple season? If I had to, I cold drag this to my basement after each use, but there would be a lot of swearing involved each time for sure. Lots of stairs.
    More taps than the year before. Bigger shack than the year before. Leader Patriot 2x6 w/hood. 3-post Dolly, but still too much sap and not enough wood or time.
    www.wickedsappy.com

I could measure mine for you but you'll have yours in a few days. I'm thinking a 4x8 sheet of the blue foam board 2" thick would work well for you. Maybe cover it in luan plywood to protect it. Mine is in the cellar now too until I'm ready to use it. Then not sure what I'll do once it's in the sugar house. My building is insulated so I might just point a heater towards it. I worry about relying on a light bulb to keep it warm...what if bulb blows? Not sure what others are doing...?

I believe my cabinet is 24" deep by 5ft wide and 5ft tall, I will have to check the dimensions to be sure. I have 4" of insulation on the sides and then 2" in the top. The front panel of the cabinet is removable with no insulation. I heat with an electric milk house heater from tractor supply and a thermo-cube thermostat.
    Jeff

470 taps
    Torr Vac TV40D High Vac with Lapierre Horizontal releaser
    Leader 2x6 Patriot raised flue
    Leader 2x4 Steamaway
    Wildfire arch
    MES Dolly 300 3 post RO
    DG 7" 5 bank filter press
    and still lookin to get bigger

Back when I used light bulbs to heat the RO closet, it barely needed 1at 100 watts, but I had 3 100's (and they were on a line volt t-staT, SET AT 40f) to be sure. I now have a 8000 BTU wall heater, direct vented and the line volt t-stat has a 1200 watt electric heater for back up, and that circuit is on a solar bank and inverter in case the grid power goes out. The propane thermostat is set at 43F and the electric is set at 40F backup.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Dave

Now that’s a backup plan. You make a good point in ensureing RO users have a backup plan. It could be as simple as checking on the RO in the morning after a cold night to ensure there is still some heat in your RO room instead of trusting that “ things should be fine”. I read every year on this forum from producers who didn’t check their RO room during a cold spell