+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pressure gauge question

Default Pressure gauge question

I've replaced the low pressure gauge on my RO two times in the last four years and it's starting to leak glycerin again(!) and now the high pressure gauge is leaking. I can't be mad at the high pressure one since its OEM and the machine was built in 1991. The low pressure gauge was also OEM four years ago. Both are Foster brand gauges.

Both of the replacements were not what you'd call "cheap". The first came from a local industrial supply and the second from CDL- a BII brand gauge. Both leaked within two years and I do not want to play this game again with the high pressure gauge. Garbage belongs in the trash, and that's where my previous gauges ended up. Is there a brand out there that you guys would recommend?

What brand gauges are on your RO currently? Just curious.

Thanks.

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

I don't know about better gauges, but one time on my air blast sprayer I had a glycerine leak and I just added more glycerine thru the port that has a rubber plug in it on the side of the gauge. That fixed it for 2 or 3 years and I then repeated it. Glycerine is cheap at a drug store.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

When is liquid-filled gauge case venting necessary?
    ALWAYS! * All liquid filled pressure gauges should be vented after the gauge is installed to preserve the accuracy. Temperature fluctuations during shipment and in the process application cause the liquid filling to expand and contract which, in turn, increases or decreased case pressure. As a result, accuracy can be decreased and the pointer may not return to zero properly until the gauge is vented to the atmosphere.

How do I vent my liquid filled gauge?
    Simply cut off the rubber tip from the fill plug located on the top (12 o’clock position) of the pressure gauge.*
    Tim Schmidt
    2013 13 Taps 4 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2014 50 Taps 14 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2015 60 Taps on 3/16 gravity, 40 Taps on buckets, 42 Gallons Syrup, Home built 30 x 60 arch and flat pan
    2016 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 43 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2017 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 44 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2018 155 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, Same Arch and Pan, home built 100 gph ro unit

Dave- I should not have to refill these even if I wanted too. Besides, the leakage runs down the front of the control panel.

Tim- I did cut off the rubber tip- on both of the replacement gauges. And "Always vented" might not always be the case. The original Foster brand high pressure gauge has no rubber plug at the top to vent or add glycerin. Nothing had to be done to that one and had worked fine for a quarter century. Maybe it was internally vented but it was problem free.

Overall gauge quality is suspect here with what is currently available. I guess they "don't build them like they used to" anymore.

What gauges are the big RO manufacturers using these days, any idea?

Steve
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate

We don't build r.o. systems, but we do build filtration systems for our machines. for years we used ENFM gauges and had great luck and performance with them. They went bankrucpt in 2016. this company has taken over their product line. http://www.badotherm.com/
    A good quality gauge.
    Tim Schmidt
    2013 13 Taps 4 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2014 50 Taps 14 Gallons Syrup, Drum evap.
    2015 60 Taps on 3/16 gravity, 40 Taps on buckets, 42 Gallons Syrup, Home built 30 x 60 arch and flat pan
    2016 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 43 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2017 125 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, 44 Gallons Syrup, Same Arch and Pan
    2018 155 Taps all on 3/16 gravity average 18 in. vacuum, Same Arch and Pan, home built 100 gph ro unit

I will check those out. Thanks for the info. -Steve

+ Reply to Thread