+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Too Early to Tap?

With Buckets I would wait until the weather shows an extended period like a full week of temps in the mid 40s and mid to low 20s at night, like a week with 4-5 out of 7 days with weather like that. Probably around the first week of march.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

we have had success in Missouri already. Had a few days last week with lows in 20s and highs in 50s. The inch of snow melted and mud is more of a problem getting around than snow. Good luck to all Maine producers. JS
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

I mentioned earlier in this post that I wait til mid February, and I am glad I did. Up till this week it has been a cycle of warm/cold every two to three days, with only a day around 40 to 45. Though I am anxious to get some taps in, once they are in I need to maintain them. Now with a prolonged cold spell in the works any early small run would be shut down, so I really would not gain anything. I spend this early time getting everything in order so in a few weeks I will be ready. Good luck to all!

2'x4' concrete block arch with 3 hotel pans
    16 to 20 taps 2018
    8 taps 2016, 3 gallons

Default Back at it- Sap in School, year 5.

Hello there,
    This is the fifth year that my kindergarten-second grade class. The sugaring process offers so many chances for learning (math, measurement, tree id, converting liquids, fire starting skills, discover animal tracks in the snow while tapping, history, lore, legend, science, boiling points and exercise to name a few). We typically make between 11-17 gallons of syrup each year using simple spouts and buckets- impressive for a young group. The Riley School is located in Rockport Maine (mid-coast) so-
    HAS ANYONE TAPPED ALREADY OR WAIT A BIT? We are on the Maine Maple Sunday tour again and need to get started.Screen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.03.59 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2017-01-31 at 8.06.27 AM.jpgIMG_0527.JPGFireShot-Capture-13-1-Stay-in-the-loop-Riley-School-Ma_-https___www.facebook.com_rileyscho-768x5.jpg FireShot-Capture-9-1-Stay-in-the-loop-Riley-School-Ma_-https___www.facebook.com_rileyschoo-1.jpg

PS- If you are know anyone that is passing on supplies (taps, pails, 5 gallon buckets....) please keep us in mind. Thank You. Happy Tapping. Check out the link below for photos and info.
    http://bugsmudbooksandsticks.com/sap-in-school/

I am thinking about tapping some this weekend in Westbrook.

The whole general central Maine area is right there. Unfortunately many of the "warmer" days are cold wet days, with rain or frozen precip. I plan on tapping during school vacation week.
    2017- Started small-made 7 gallons. Long days & few nights on a 1x2 and turkey fryer.

2018- Bought a 2x4 and built a small scale RO. 21 gallons.

2019- moved up to 100 gph procon for my home built RO. Built a steamhood. About 220 taps and 21 gallons again.

2020- 140 procon on the R0. Added a new mainline at my in laws. 330 taps for 24 gallons, sold excess sap.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12