+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too Early to Tap?

Default Too Early to Tap?

The long range forecast is showing good weather this weekend and next week. Is anyone thinking about tapping early this year?
    Last edited by turnerburner; 01-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.

My limited experience is to wait till mid February. These warm January spells seem to be a yearly occurrence. I've tried a tree or two in the past and ended up waiting till mid February to see a decent flow. With next weeks temps in the mid 30's it still seems slightly cool. Good luck whichever way you go!

we are thinking about it, the 10 day looks good and down to the last bottle of syrup from last year!
    2019: tapped 2/20/19, 92 taps on buckets
    2018: tapped 2/11/18, pulled 3/27/18 75 taps on same buckets 'Optimizer' inverted filter rack =30.5 gallons finished syrup
    2017: tapped 2/5/17 fuel oil tank evaporator two 18"x28" flat pans, 50 taps on drop lines/Buckets, Small scale RO =11 gallon syrup
    2016: tapped 1/25/16 1st year, 25 taps on buckets, copper kettle over a fire =4.5 gallon syrup
    6x4 gator sap collector and kid hauler

If you have trees that have southern exposure you might get some sap in southern Maine, I live about 1000ft from fryeburg Maine and I won't be tapping anytime soon, I might miss a small run or 2 but I almost never get tapped before presidents week and this year will be no exception. I have a really cold woods it faces mostly east south east but it really doesn't get a lot of sun, save the trees nearer the top of the Bush.

So if you have hedge row trees or door yard trees you might get some sap but I personally would hold off at least a couple more weeks.
    Nate Hutchins
    Nate & Kate's Maple
    2022 1000 taps?
    3x10 Intensofire
    20x36 sugarhouse
    CDL 600gph RO
    A wife and 2 kids.

Even though we have had a warm, then cold, the frost is still deep and will affect the ability of the trees to run much.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I plan to start working in the woods and drilling holes Friday. I don't expect much to happen. I just have a lot to do and I prefer to be working when it's not so cold.
    " A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way."
    Mark Twain
    900 plus taps , 435 vacuum, 565 gravity
    2.5 x 10 Thor on Tsunami arch
    H2O Concentrater 300
    Squeezing Bees
    and
    Draining Trees
    Since 1980
    http://www.sparkyshoneyandmaple.com/about.html

Default Hobbyists—when to tap

Watching the weather but not sure when to tap up here near Lincoln. I have 50+ buckets to hang on trees. Last year, I had already tapped, collected and bottled a few gallons by the end of January thanks to an early warm spell. Then sat dormant for some long, cold snowy stretches in mid-Feb. Not sure what to do this year. Hoping a Maine maple pro can tell me what 2018 has in store! Tap now or wait until Feb or March?
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines

It all boils down to " Are You Feeling Lucky "

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchman View Post
    It all boils down to " Are You Feeling Lucky "
    Thanks for replying, but as a beginner I have no idea what “feeling lucky” means in this context.

Is there Anyone out there in my neck of the woods who can give me some tips/advice on what factors to consider in deciding when to start putting out my buckets?

Are sugar makers in some regions of Maine already collecting sap?

Thanks in advance!
    Page Meadow Maple
    Lowell, Maine
    Leader Half Pint evaporator
    80 taps: 53 buckets, 27 drop lines

By "feeling lucky" you are taking a gamble that the weather will hold a steady pattern for good tapping weather for the next 6 weeks or so. Or about as long as your taps are expected to last before they start to dry up. Also lucky enough that the first few early runs from the January thaw will produce enough to make the risk of tapping early to be worth it.

Right now is still early. The more traditional season is closer to March.

I'm tapped at the moment but I'm on gravity tubing which can extend the life of my tap holes and I'm also much further south than you. With where I am located right on the coast my climate mimics temps more inline with a location like mid Jersey. So having an understanding of your local weather patterns can be helpful when judging your luck.
    2017 25 taps on buckets got me hooked 1 gallon of sweet
    2018 51 taps on 3/16 tubing/ DIY oil tank evaporator 8.5gallons finished
    2019 60 taps 7 gallons finished ended season short
    2020 New 2x4 divided pan ready to get away from the headache that is steam table pans
    2021 off year due to pandemic and projects
    2022 back at it

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast