+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 What is everyone doing in PA?

After a very cold night -- 16 degrees -- the sun is shining and the temperature is climbing into the 40s with a warm night and some warm days to follow. All of the trees will be waking up from their winter nap. I'll be rinsing the RO membrane and getting my RO going this afternoon. This is going to be a HUGE run!
    Last edited by HowardR; 02-13-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Got a little sap here yesterday and today but nothing too big. Today has hung right around 40 and rained on and off with some wind so the temp did not feel that warm. Still quite a bit of ice around our line in a sluice under our driveway is frozen in ice in solid ice. Tomorrow and Wednesday it is suppose to be in the 60's but if its anything like today it certainly won't feel like it. Been in the woods checking for leaks as soon as we notice vacuum dropping. In the meantime we have been and adding on taps every chance we get.
    Jared

9pm Monday until 9 pm Tuesday was my biggest sap run ever a little over 2 gpt in 24 hours. No complaints here!
    Jared

Made syrup right along in February and March came made syrup March 5, March 12, March 19, and last night March 22 none of which were big runs. Last night the syrup went back to a pretty light Amber Rich after being dark for quite some time and the sugar content was the highest it has been all season 1.8-1.9. Weather wise looking ahead it looks like things should get going on daily basis again. Just about 50% of my bottom line goal.

Time will tell
    Jared

Pretty slow over here on my side of the hill. Just about the time it gets running temp drops and it shuts off. I'm about 50% of where I ended up last year as well but looks like some runs to come yet.

Have not had a drop of sap in 3 weeks,this is nuts . Made a half gallon of syrup thus far on 100 taps YUCK

In NWPA the yield has been in the 50% range. Normally we would be around 150 gallons currently at 91. Season looks to be just starting next week and we may be done.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Erie Co. PA
    We made 10 gallons of great tasting rich syrup last night. We were almost sold out of syrup and associated products during North West Pa. Maple Taste and Tour.

Chris we are a fair amount less than half a crop. I guess we need more road side trees!

Bill Phillips
    Ft. LeBoeuf Maple

been getting a little sap in the last week,not much sugar content though. Would like to make a gallon or two more but I kind of doubt it.Wind blowing about 40 miles an hour and its snowing. Had about 30 gal. to boil off today made a little over a quart of syrup.Tough going the last few years here.

Pulled my taps last Friday.

Have been filtering, bottling, making sugar and glazed nuts. Today will be cleaning up the sap tank and evaporator. Then cutting more firewood for next year.

I'm seriously considering a RO for next year and to house it and keep it above freezing, I'm looking into a cave like room. Does anyone have experience with this? Any suggestions?
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast