+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 What is everyone doing in PA?

We got some snow yesterday afternoon and into the evening I guess maybe 3 inches. Today is a little colder than yesterday around 15' I would love to be outside tapping but I will have to wait until after work. The forecast is still showing a warm up starting Friday for about 5 days but nothing terribly cold in the 10 days (of course I don;t trust the forecast much past 24 hours ha ha) so I'm just going to keep plugging away and see what happens. I'll have the releaser and tank ready by tomorrow night and I'll turn off the valves for lines not tapped and see what happens.
    Jared

I goofed. I tapped my first run last week for that short warm spell....just trying to learn the tubing process. Planned on running 2-3 more lines this Friday. Last night I was getting all my stuff together so I would be ready to go....and I can't find my taps. I think I left the small bag of about 100 taps laying in the woods. Now covered by 4-6 inches of snow. What are the odds I find it on Friday under the snow....haha. I put in a quick order today for more taps but I doubt they will arrive before the weekend. First Fail of the season...haha

The "getting ready for syrup days" are fast approaching. I would like to have the sugarhouse ready to go during this next warm spell. Maybe even get the tubing hung up too. Then just watch the weather for tapping weather. Do need to cut a little extra wood if I have the chance also.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I just put 6 taps in my backyard. The sap was flowing nicely. I have 3 more huge sugar maples on a relative's property that I'm going to tap hopefully tomorrow. I am also upgrading my boiling setup and will hopefully post some pictures when it's done. It's about 80% finished now.

Newbie here and maybe this isn't where I should post this, but I am in Cumberland county PA, so figgered I would search info out from my keystone state brethren.

Brand new to this maple syrup makin gig. Like, helped my buddy boil some sap down outside on a turkey fryer setup to the point where he was almost finished with some syrup in a pot on the stove. I tasted some out of that pot on a spoon and it was pretty dang good. Couldn't believe how good it was. That is the entirety of my experience on the whole syrup thing. Fast forward...... Just ordered a 20 tap kit off amazon, excited to get into this thing and make some syrup with my 4 and 7 year old girls. Now, I have been reading up a little bit, a lot on here, about the whole process of this and there is a ton of info, though no reading on the internet can come close to actually doing it. I am hoping to start though as far ahead, or probably more appropriately as little behind as possible. I realize its a ton of work for a little yield, though that yield will be worth a million dollars when we are covering the mickey mouse pancakes with it!

My questions are unlimited, but lets start with these few...

1) As far as the first collection, I am really starting from nothing here as I don't even have trees in mind yet to tap. My research has told me that I want to tap just sugar maples if possible to be working with sap that has a higher sugar content leading to less cooking time or at the very least more yield for work done. I've read about the hydrometers or whatever that measure the sugar content. Is that something worth putting money out for to just mess around a little with this stuff, or is there another way to test which trees may be giving off better sap, say by tasting the sap and focusing more on the trees that may have a sweeter taste?

2) With my buddy, he collected the sap in food grade buckets and stored until he was ready to cook down. Then used a propane turkey fryer. I have a propane turkey fryer, however, I am hoping to keep the cost down on whatever I can, so I am hoping I can set up to do the bulk of the cooking down on a wood campfire. I have an existing stone campfire ring and the materials to "choke it down" and set up the pot on to cook down. Feeding firewood will be much cheaper than running through propane tanks. In regards to this, how do you want the sap...boiling, rolling easy or just simmering? I would assume a good solid roll?

3) How do you know when it is finished? I read somewhere about a pound of syrup should weigh 11 lbs, so a cup should be around .6875 lbs or just shy of 7 oz? Or do you just go until it tastes the way you want it?

4) Bonus question for now... Is bark ID the best way to tell a sugar maple right now? Ive looked at a lot of pictures of the bark, and I think I spied me a bunch of decent sized sugar maples on a property down the road from my house, but its owned by the township, so I don't think I can work out anything on them. I do have access to a decent amount of woods that I have permission to hunt, I just need to put boots to the ground and find em....

Thanks for any help, your time is much appreciated

Welcome! I started 3 years ago just like you. First year I tapped about 20 trees. Last year I have about 50 taps. This year I ran my first tubing line (3 lines total), with a total of 80 taps. It's addicting but also frustrating when you first start and your working on next to no knowledge or budget.

I'll try to answer your questions although others with more experience should chime in. I do remember getting started very well and my issues.

answer 1. Sugar Maples are the best...but tap your easiest trees. It's a daily chore to collect so make it easy...plus your kids won't want to help if its too hard (been there). I tapped a red maple in my backyard the first 2 years. It was probably my best performer...by far. Never checked the sugar content though. Some report Reds do very well....others say they are just ok.

answer 2. Campfire will work great for what you are doing. Plus it's enjoyable to hang around the fire. I still cook on a firepit...but with a 3ft x 4ft flat pan.

answer 3. This is what I did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNTzAenpHVA It isn't perfect but it will get you close enough. Some batches were runny...others were fine. If the next day it seems too runny...just throw it back on the stove a bit longer. It can be a bit frustrating...but it gets the job done. My second year I made sure I had a hydrometer....no guessing with that thing. Plus I added more taps...so it was worth it.

answer 4. this time of the year....you have to ID by the branches. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnpefntpusc pay attention to the first 1 min. opposite branches. you might have to stare up at the tree for a while to spot it. some of my maples only have a few "opposite branches" because over time one side of the "opposite pair" breaks.

Also...youtube has everything you could ever need.

good luck.

steve

Sticknstring,
    I barely have any experience but I will share how I started last year. Steve covered a lot.

My son and I tapped the sugar maple in our backyard. It's huge with multiple trunks so we put 5 taps in Super Bowl Sunday (apparently too late). We managed to get 16 gallons of sap. I used walmart spring water jugs (screw on cap). I put a 3/8 hole in the cap and put the drop tube through and then a length of mason twine to hang the jug from the tap. I collected and stored in the same type of gallon jugs. I kept it stored in our garage fridge until I couldn't store anymore. This year I bought some food grade buckets and lids. I'm collecting at a relative's property as well so I can haul 10 gallons of sap if I need to at the moment.

I bought a 4 inch stainless steam pan on amazon and used it to boil outside on my coleman campstove. I would just let it go all evening for about 5 hours. I would put my concentrate in a stock pot and put back in the fridge. The next boil I'd add to it.

I finished on the stove and tested boil temp of water and then went 8 degrees above that. The syrup was light and thin but delicious. I think I may get a hydrometer this year.

I have expanded my boiling setup this year to a two pan setup. Hopefully it works well. I've added pictures. I would like to do it over wood but at the moment this allows me to boil without a lot of attention. I just keep an eye on it every hour or so.

What I'm curious about is how people filter. I tried last year through my cone filter that came with my taps. I still had sediment in the jars.

I bought some buckets and am thinking of trying a homemade vacuum filter. I saw some good youtube videos on that.
    If I come up with something that works I'll put some pictures up.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Hoppy; 01-23-2018 at 06:10 PM.
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

I'm in Boiling Springs, and do a small backyard operation every year. Most I've made in a season is 10 gallons, but I'd be more than willing to help you out if you have any questions.
    Quote Originally Posted by sticknstring View Post
    Newbie here and maybe this isn't where I should post this, but I am in Cumberland county PA, so figgered I would search info out from my keystone state brethren.

Brand new to this maple syrup makin gig. Like, helped my buddy boil some sap down outside on a turkey fryer setup to the point where he was almost finished with some syrup in a pot on the stove. I tasted some out of that pot on a spoon and it was pretty dang good. Couldn't believe how good it was. That is the entirety of my experience on the whole syrup thing. Fast forward...... Just ordered a 20 tap kit off amazon, excited to get into this thing and make some syrup with my 4 and 7 year old girls. Now, I have been reading up a little bit, a lot on here, about the whole process of this and there is a ton of info, though no reading on the internet can come close to actually doing it. I am hoping to start though as far ahead, or probably more appropriately as little behind as possible. I realize its a ton of work for a little yield, though that yield will be worth a million dollars when we are covering the mickey mouse pancakes with it!

My questions are unlimited, but lets start with these few...

1) As far as the first collection, I am really starting from nothing here as I don't even have trees in mind yet to tap. My research has told me that I want to tap just sugar maples if possible to be working with sap that has a higher sugar content leading to less cooking time or at the very least more yield for work done. I've read about the hydrometers or whatever that measure the sugar content. Is that something worth putting money out for to just mess around a little with this stuff, or is there another way to test which trees may be giving off better sap, say by tasting the sap and focusing more on the trees that may have a sweeter taste?

2) With my buddy, he collected the sap in food grade buckets and stored until he was ready to cook down. Then used a propane turkey fryer. I have a propane turkey fryer, however, I am hoping to keep the cost down on whatever I can, so I am hoping I can set up to do the bulk of the cooking down on a wood campfire. I have an existing stone campfire ring and the materials to "choke it down" and set up the pot on to cook down. Feeding firewood will be much cheaper than running through propane tanks. In regards to this, how do you want the sap...boiling, rolling easy or just simmering? I would assume a good solid roll?

3) How do you know when it is finished? I read somewhere about a pound of syrup should weigh 11 lbs, so a cup should be around .6875 lbs or just shy of 7 oz? Or do you just go until it tastes the way you want it?

4) Bonus question for now... Is bark ID the best way to tell a sugar maple right now? Ive looked at a lot of pictures of the bark, and I think I spied me a bunch of decent sized sugar maples on a property down the road from my house, but its owned by the township, so I don't think I can work out anything on them. I do have access to a decent amount of woods that I have permission to hunt, I just need to put boots to the ground and find em....

Thanks for any help, your time is much appreciated

Thank you very kindly everybody. Steve, thanks for the reassurance on the campfire and the videos on tree id and syrup readiness. Hoppy, the tip on the steam pan was fantastic, I found a catering/restaurant supply place near my work that has them, am gonna go pick up one or two today. sshirk, that is very kind of you and I may just take you up on that offer in the near future. I have family living in Boiling Springs, my brother lives in white rock acres, my dad lives behind Karns and just found out my other brother is working/doing some tree work in Boiling Springs today. Small world!!! I picked up 5 food grade 5 gallon buckets last night, so once I get my taps in the mail, hopefully by middle of next week, I can start getting some sap to evaporate! I have about a week to find some trees and get the firepit set up to cook over. Thanks again guys and I will definitely be checking in here daily to see whats going on here!

Well we have about 15-1600 taps in so far. Turned the pump on and found some leaks yesterday after work. Planning on Friday to be the first day of collection although I won't start the pump until I get home from work. It looks like it should run all weekend and then get cold again. We will start making syrup when we get enough sap. Ready or not here we go!
    Jared

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast