+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2018 What is everyone doing in PA?

Default 2018 What is everyone doing in PA?

I was able to hold to my original plan to start tapping on Saturday the 13th of January (my earliest tapping date ever). Although with the drastic change in weather from 62' on Friday with 3 inches of rain then overnight turning into six inches of snow and about a 60' drop in temp I was not able to get started as early as planned because I had to plow snow.

Anyhow this afternoon after moving snow a little more and waiting for the thermometer to read on the + side I have about 300 taps in. It is what I would call perfect tapping weather about 15' with no wind. They are calling for 40's this coming weekend if you can believe in the forecast. Time will tell however I'm hoping to be somewhat ready (as in pump, tanks, and releaser ready) if it happens otherwise I'll just keep working at tapping.

I'm sure others are tapping just wondering what everyone else is up to.

Best of luck to all!
    Jared

I likewise am waiting to see what the weather brings, and was wondering the same. How are the guys down south doing?
    We are almost in the exact center of the state, I'm thinking the cold weather this year has been fairly wide spread.
    I have very little to do yet. I want to set my barrels the last Saturday in January and I have a 3/16 line with about 22 taps to deal with.
    I think the earliest I've ever tapped is February 2nd. I'm going to have about 400 taps this year, so won't take too long to get plugged in.
    115 red maples on vacuum
    100 taps on 5/16 gravity
    35 taps on 3/16 gravity
    50 taps on shurflo vacuum
    about 60 buckets on giant roadside sugars
    neighbor bringing from 45 taps
    30'x 8' Aof/Auf Evaporator
    Homemade 125gph Ro
    Lots of Homemade Equipment!

http://s848.photobucket.com/albums/a...%20Sugarshack/

I am most likely going to start tapping this weekend. Anytime you can tap without snow is a plus for me and considering I added a new bush on steep slope its almost a must do. I cant imagine going up and down that slope in snowshoes. If its cold afterwards so be it, I'll keep tweeking things and changing drops til we get sugaring weather.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I'm planning on holding off until at least the first week of February, but I also am only running about 900 taps on three bushes so with two guys we can get tapped in a weekend. That being said if the weather looks like its gonna change sooner I will tap sooner.

I'm just a backyard syrup guy. I ran 1 line (29 taps on 3/16) on the 8th. First time on tubing....wanted to run one line early to figure out the process. It took me forever without a 3/16 tool. Sap ran great for a couple days and filled my 55gallon drum. I'm planning on installing 2 more lines this Friday. Forecast is looking good starting Friday.

South of Pittsburgh.

Cheers.

Wellllllll,,,,
    The forecast as of right now looks very tempting for this weekend. Last season I tapped the 22nd so basically about the same time.
    I still have a few things to get into order 1st but it would not be an issue if I wanted to tap Fri or Sat.
    The forecast right now shows 38 Thurs, 40 Fri, 47 Sat, 50 Sun and 53 for Mon. SO looking very nice for go time. I will make my mind up later in the week, maybe Thurs, by then I should see what next week will be like.

I normally do all my woods work during the week Between Christmas and New Years but this year I drew the line when the temps were single digits and winds blowing like crazy.
    I went up Sat and got all the trees of the mainlines and made repairs to the mainlines. There are still a few lat's that looked at and a mainline side tie or two to fix.
    1st Generation Hobby Maple Producer, you got to start somewhere.
    222 Taps, all on Vacuum! No more buckets.
    Lapierre 2'x5' raised flue w/Hood and Preheater
    Surge SP11, Lapierre Hobby Releaser
    Modified 5" Filter Press made by Daryl with a Gear Pump
    Homemade 2 membrane RO
    Kabota RTV Sap Hauler

Hardy's Maple Syrup on Facebook

7B76C7E1-1637-495C-B79C-1855B0FB80D2.jpgI did my test boil today and rigged up the cables to the cupola doors. All of my 3/16” and main line is ready.

I plan to tap on Friday if the weather outlook stays the same.
    Last edited by minehart gap; 01-15-2018 at 07:24 PM.
    Matt,
    Minehart Gap Maple

[QUOTE= Anytime you can tap without snow is a plus for me [/QUOTE]

Mike, you better check the forecast for tomorrow.lol
    2x3 Patrick Phaneuf Divided Pan
    Homemade arch
    RB20 RO Bucket
    121 taps total
    Sugar Shack in future
    Wife into it as much as me
    Also do homebrew

http://s928.photobucket.com/albums/ad121/ZMANSYRUP/

Backyard tapper here, planning on doing it next week as we're headed out of town this weekend. The extended forecast is looking pretty good for our area, if we weren't going away I'd have already put some taps out.

Quote Originally Posted by Z/MAN View Post
    Mike, you better check the forecast for tomorrow.lol
    Yea, that didnt exactly work out. Lol Although most should be melted by Monday
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast