+ Reply to Thread

Thread: electric extractor build won't pump?

Default electric extractor build won't pump?

Trying to build an electric extractor and cannot seem to pump out of high vacuum. I thought I chose the correct pump? It is the goulds 13GS05 capable of 50 to 150 or so feet of head. I have attached the curve if anyone has advice on why it does not seem to work or perhaps it is the wrong pump.

I am pumping out of 27.5" and up 12 feet with only 30 feet in length. I installed a spring check valve on the discharge line and now I have drilled a hole in the internal check on the pump and a 1/4" hole in the nipple above the pump. I even tried a small balance line before the check-valve back the the booster tank.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

My new electric releaser has a Goulds Xylem brand NPE pump. It is also built with a 1/2 return line after the pump and before the check valve. Have not used it yet, so I can't tell you if it works.
    (IT HAD BETTER WORK)

Joe
    2004- 470 taps on gravity and buckets
    2006- 590 taps on gravity and buckets 300 gph RO
    2009- 845 taps on vacuum no buckets, 600 gph RO
    2010- 925 taps on vacuum new 2 stage vacuum pump
    2014- 3045 taps on vacuum, new 1200 gph RO
    2015- 3104 taps on vacuum
    2017- 3213 taps on vacuum
    3' x 10' oil fired evaporator with steamaway

Not familiar with the pump, but is this an external pump or internal pump
    Extractor?
    Is the pump air locking or just not pump out fast enough and flooding out?
    Is the pump just cycling once and then not cycling again?
    Just trying to track down your issue
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

This is a deep well submersible. I installed it with a pitless adapter in a 30" extractor and the placed a 36" booster on it's side to limit pump cycling ~20 gallons per "dump". The pump seems to start pumping and then slow down. The 1/4" line I placed back to the extractor seems to keep flowing. The pump is fully submerged when it turns on and I set the float to shut off before the suction is uncovered. Not sure if this is a problem. The pitless just seemed durable and easy to take apart for cleaning. I have been testing with a small line feeding in water on a totally closed system. It seems like it should pump right out and the pump curve seems more than capable. I am thinking about trying a swing check instead of spring check. I went to spring because the swing on another setup chattered real bad when the pump shut off.

The order was delayed, was going to start this project in October to get bugs out and here I am. Testing with a garden hose ran outside in single digits is a pain.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

I could be way off here but sounds like you could be almost to the pump capacity if it slowing way down. I don't know exact figures, but i remember somebody told me once that 1 inch of vacuum equals about 8 foot of head on a pump.
    The only other thing I can think of with out seeing any pics of the set up would be if you choked down the pump with whatever size line you are using to pump out the extractor.
    Here's a YouTube video I made of mine based off from Member Tmeeh. I have a pic of my pump and you could cross reference mine to yours. Maybe that could help you, or maybe somebody smarter than myself could offer a better suggestion.
    https://youtu.be/1l4hQHhjG9k
    Jake Moser
    Moser's Maple

2 beautiful little girls
    1 wife that's become her mother

www.facebook.com/mosersmaple

The extractor we used last year had a 1/2hp 10gpm pump in it and we pumped 2800’ with rise of 50’ with 1300 taps coming into it.

If the pump is removing more volume than is coming in, you will create added vacuum until it is maxed out. Then you will only be able to remove the volume that is coming in. If your test is in a small system with no leaks it will max out quickly. You are basically pumping with the suction valve almost closed and are causing cavitation. If you have a vacuum gauge on the suction side, watch this as you pump. You may need to add a bleeder valve to let some air in to maintain your normal vacuum level for testing. In the woods you should have enough volume and leaks to compensate for the discharged volume.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sapper View Post
    If the pump is removing more volume than is coming in, you will create added vacuum until it is maxed out. Then you will only be able to remove the volume that is coming in. If your test is in a small system with no leaks it will max out quickly. You are basically pumping with the suction valve almost closed and are causing cavitation. If you have a vacuum gauge on the suction side, watch this as you pump. You may need to add a bleeder valve to let some air in to maintain your normal vacuum level for testing. In the woods you should have enough volume and leaks to compensate for the discharged volume.

The system is very tight. I introduced a leak and it seemed to pump out just fine.

I guess on a live system the tree gases and sap are what allows the system to pump out. Seem about right? Missed that lesson.
    2.5X10 HE
    600 RO
    Vac

+ Reply to Thread