+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ARO pump failure, warning to all air diaphragm pump users

Default ARO pump failure, warning to all air diaphragm pump users

When we had nice temperatures yesterday (high 50's) I tried to pump some syrup into my bottler to pack my next bourbon barrel. Nothing would move, but the pump was operating. I must have not rinsed it after my last use and likely the check balls are sugared up. However, just in case, I ordered a repair kit.
    I'll need to unhook the pump and bring it home to take apart and clean or replace parts if needed. My guess is that I need to better rinse it after each use, it has only sat 3 weeks since the last use.
    Just a warning to those using an air diaphragm pump, rinse, then pump it dry when finished using to avoid problems. I learned the hard way.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If nothing moves it is probably in the air side. If it was inside in an unheated room it could be frozen moisture even if it was warm outside. I would warm it up first and them try to run it before taking it apart.

Air was moving thru the pump and flowing out the air exhaust port. The pump sounded like it was pumping, but even when I lifted the feed hose so syrup ran into the inlet to the pump the pump would not move the product.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

If it was cycling the checks in the pump are not seating and could have dried syrup on them. If it is not cycling and air is moving through then the actuator is gummed up.

I'll find out today, the pump is going home to be worked on. Thanks for the input.

Hot water worked like a charm. It took about 5 minutes, getting hot water into the inlet, running the compressor, dumping and filling again with hot water. I repeated that about 8-9 times, before the pump started to pump the hot water thru. From that point, I ran it for a couple of minutes then shut the water off and ran the pump until I got no more water or even a mist out the discharge.
    My guess proved good, the check balls were stuck or sugared up and now the pump is ready to again go to work.
    I'll try again this weekend to pump out the tail end of 3 barrels into the bottler, heat it to 190 and then fill my last bourbon barrel. I will then have 2 batches of 10 gal each aging. Then about late July, early August I can pack that batch of bourbon barrel aged maple syrup. I will have bottled my other batch, late May, into June.
    The way sales picked up this year, I'll probably make another 20 gal at the end of the maple season so I don't run out.

+ Reply to Thread