+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Options for Removable Black 1" Mainline Without Wire Support?

Hybrid View

Default Options for Removable Black 1" Mainline Without Wire Support?

I'm looking for 1" tubing that has to be seasonally removed. It seems to make sense to use pipeline without wire since wire-tied-pipeline-to-high-tensile-wire is hard to manage.

This is a 700' long section and it has been requested to be black. I imagine tubing grips at the ends and supports every 30' or so.

What sort of tubing have you tried and been happy with for such efforts?

[I know RapiTube is an option, but the pricing per foot is way too high for this effort and only comes in blue.]

Quote Originally Posted by cray54 View Post
    I'm looking for 1" tubing that has to be seasonally removed. It seems to make sense to use pipeline without wire since wire-tied-pipeline-to-high-tensile-wire is hard to manage.

This is a 700' long section and it has been requested to be black. I imagine tubing grips at the ends and supports every 30' or so.

What sort of tubing have you tried and been happy with for such efforts?

[I know RapiTube is an option, but the pricing per foot is way too high for this effort and only comes in blue.]
    I have an old sugar Bush I can tap but I also have to take it down after season also. I to have looked a rapidtube. But I have my wire up in 2 days with about 1200 feet worth. I pull the tubing as tight as I can and I use zip ties to tie the tubing to the wire. It's a 2 week process mostly weekend and after work with 2 guys for 500 taps. Just make sure you take pictures of how you set it up and label it. It works for me.
    2019:250 gallons
    2020:324 gallons
    2021:?

I used to have one that was a 1-1/2" and a 1" line that ran across a pond and the corner of a lawn that was about 400' long. The land owners wanted it down during the off season. We put it up on wire with a quick coupler at each end and a loop in the wire on each end. The top end hitched to a hook in a tree, the bottom end, used a cheaper come along hitched to a tree to pull the line tight. The come along stayed in place. At the end of the season, I uncoupled the line at each end, released the come along and rolled the line up. The line stayed twist tied to the wire and was rolled up as a package.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

I ended up using D&G 1" black mainline with camlock connections on the ends and no supporting wire. I relied on side-tie tensioning to pull it tight (using CDL Tie Back Strapping), which worked out nicely. According to some quick math for sagging between supports, I needed to add supports in my long runs and I attempted to keep supports around 30-40' intervals in the 2% slope section.

At the end of the year, we used an old spool to roll it back up. It took many hours to get everything configured just right, but pulling and rolling the 700 ft of line ended up taking less than 1 hour. Everything is labeled, so hopefully next year it will go up quickly.

+ Reply to Thread