+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting Away with out a Cupola

Thanks for the feed back fella's, got lots of options now, appreciate it!

Check out the concentric exaust system from smokey lake maple this is the basic idea i use with my 2×6 setup it creates so much draft in my hood there is never steam in the bush . My hood is slightly better than the plastic setup but extends past the back around the chimney stack . This is the futer of steam removal it's that good of a theory. Seriously. the first year i ran my 2×5 barrel evaporator in a40×80 .pole barn and you couldnt 20' . Now in a 10'×32' bush with a smokey lake 2×6 no steam ever.

When I was a kid my dad made syrup in the garage. His solution was making a hinged section of roof, probably the size of a sheet of plywood. He would prop it open with a board and close it when he was done. He also used the plastic sheeting "hood" that's already been mentioned. Worked just fine!
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

Haynes Forest Products Guest

I got schooled a few years back by a member that it ain't steam if you can see it. I will agree that its the steam that you cant see that will make you hop up and down looking for a snow bank for your hand. I get a good laugh when I see a new visitor decide to put in a few slow drops of defoamer thru the hood door.

I have been in a few shacks that I froze my bones to the core from the cold water vapor settling on my shoulders under full steam ahead. There is a very fine balance to get the right draft inside a sap shack that doesn't have a hood. Even when I start up my 3x10 with a hood and copula it takes a while to get the shack up to temp.

Once the hot water vapor hits the saturation point where its to heavy to raise and only hovers because it cant even sink is the problem.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12