+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poconos 2018

Default Poconos 2018

Weather watching has begun so I guess our season has started. Plan to set releasers and finish putting together evaporator over the next couple days and maybe change out another hundred or two drops otherwise we are ready to begin tapping when finally decided. Very interested to see how bush does on 3/16ths tubing. I will have a Shurflo hooked up to help off set the little elevation drop of lower taps but top to middle of laterals will have plenty of drop.

Good Luck to all

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

I’m just south of you in Danielsville and I’m also starting to watch. My weather is similar to yours because I’m just on the other side of the Blue Mountains. Weather looks like it’s going to warm up here the second half of January but then February looks cold again. I tapped early last year during the couple week warm stretch in January but then it got cold again and my sap runs weren’t as good. I’m thinking I will hold out to see what weather February brings.

Last year, my first season I was on buckets. This year I’ll have 2 separate lines, 42 trees total on 3/16 with shurflo and 20+ on 5/16th gravity.
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

Hey Guys, I am west of you, in the endless mountains. Last year was my first year, started later than a few folks around me, because I was still scrambling to get everything set up. My target is right around the end of January, early February, but of course Mother nature is pretty much in charge. Hoping to start earlier and end earlier this year.
    2017 1st yr, 425 taps on 3/16
    2018 600? taps on 3/16
    Grimm 42" x 8'
    Sap house in a converted milkhouse
    www.whistlepigpumpkin.com

Began tapping yesterday and will finish up over the next couple days after work. Not sure what to make of the weather but we should get some little runs to check for leaks, get lines cleaned up and maybe make some syrup. That will get us to a good spot waiting for the next warm up and the real season to begin.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

Trees are tapped and everything is set. Have to say, very impressed with new 3/16ths bush. No pumps, no releaser to hang up but boy the sap does flow. Putting in gauges to quantify what vacuum I am getting before hooking up a Shurflo. Good luck to all, weather looks cold for a a little while but all subject to change

Mike
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

I’m hoping the cold that’s coming in February still gives us mild days. I should be all laid out by next weekend. It’s my first year running lines on a shurflo. I also just got finished up setting up my new evaporator today. These last two weeks were probably great runs with the mild temps we’ve had.
    Mick

2017- 45 taps on buckets. Made just over 3 gallons.
    2018- 41 taps on two 3/8” lines on vacuum. Ten lines on 5/16” and gravity with 49 taps. 4 taps on buckets
    Homemade 2x4 Oil Tank Evaporator
    Mountain Maple Smart Sap Sucker
    Maple Jet Filter Press
    Smoky Lake Maple Steam Bottler

This is only my second year, but talking with experienced folks last year, the sooner you tap, the sooner the trees start healing. To early and you might miss heavy runs at end. I'm trying to keep in touch with same set of experienced folks around my area. When they pull the trigger, I will pull the trigger. Nobody I talk with here in northeast PA has tapped yet.
    2018 600? taps on 3/16
    Grimm 42" x 8'

Quote Originally Posted by WhistlePig View Post
    This is only my second year, but talking with experienced folks last year, the sooner you tap, the sooner the trees start healing. To early and you might miss heavy runs at end. I'm trying to keep in touch with same set of experienced folks around my area. When they pull the trigger, I will pull the trigger. Nobody I talk with here in northeast PA has tapped yet.
    Not sure who you are talking to, i have already made syrup and I can assure you I wont miss any late runs. Post in the PA thread if you dont mind. Noxen isnt anywhere near the Poconos. Have a good season
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

Quote Originally Posted by Maplewalnut View Post
    Not sure who you are talking to, i have already made syrup and I can assure you I wont miss any late runs. Post in the PA thread if you dont mind. Noxen isnt anywhere near the Poconos. Have a good season
    Wow.

I was talking to other newbs like myself trying to figure out one of the most perplexing questions in the business. With so many variables from year to year, I found talking to other, friendly folks with decades of experience about when and why they decide to tap to be especially valuable.

I will probably ignore your rather unfriendly request to post else where. Noxen is a mere 25 miles west of the Poconos, in a mountainous area with very similar climate and weather patterns. Much more relevant than say the Lehigh Valley or more southern and westerns areas of PA.
    2018 600? taps on 3/16
    Grimm 42" x 8'

Fighting the early season frigid temps in between sap runs. Syrup is very light and taste is subtle. Loving the 3/16ths bush. No worry about reduced vacuum, hung up releasers...just full tanks of sap. Anything left in tanks now will be ice for a week or more. New to me 600gph RO sure is a nice improvement from 250gph model previously used. I now know I spent way too much time ROing last season
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast