+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Western PA

Went to the neighbors yesterday. They boiled over 8 hours and made some syrup. A little dark because the pan got too low trying to finish and as normal had to filter out the mortar that falls down the chimneyDan's rig.jpg.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
    Went to the neighbors yesterday. They boiled over 8 hours and made some syrup. A little dark because the pan got too low trying to finish and as normal had to filter out the mortar that falls down the chimneyAttachment 17627.
    Hope there's no asbestos in that mortar. If so, just filter asbestos you can!

Quote Originally Posted by Evets View Post
    Hope there's no asbestos in that mortar. If so, just filter asbestos you can!
    Oh that's bad

Gary,
    Remove the plastic tank and hose and I would think the picture was take about 150 years ago! Wow!
    Between yesterday and today I gathered about 450 gallons of sap, about 1.8%, and made 9.5 gallons of slightly darker syrup. ( Dark Robust ).
    Just keep squeezing them! Puts us at about 30 gallon this spring. Not setting the world on fire but plugging along.
    Oh yea the jeans comment reminded me that the inside of my truck is usually trashed during this time of the year too! Mud and sticky sap.
    Hey that tank raising system works pretty darn nice in the truck. One of those " why didnt I do that a long time ago" things?
    Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 02-16-2018 at 08:58 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Those guys are 4H leaders and having all the kids over tomorrow for a boiling demonstration. I've still got 70 gallons of sap in barrels for them to boil. The buckets have not run well. The 4H has been to my place, but I still think they would have been better off boiling at my place.new rig copy.jpg
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Gary,
    I agree! Man your rig looks sharp!
    We did gather 115 gallons of 1.8% sap and boiled it in to the rig. Just got everything cleaned up before the freeze last night. Looks like several good days this week.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Default Spilled sap

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
    Glad I took a few hours vacation today. I collected 415 gallons of sap. Also glad to get my first boil of the year screw ups out of the way. Was drawing syrup in less than 3 hours and wasn't ready. My draw off showed 222 before I got a pot to draw off into. Also forgot to shut off the valve on my bulk tank when I was changing pumps. At least 50 gallons of that sap went on the ground At least I'll be done boiling in an hour and have about 1 1/2 gal. of syrup!

I have a saying when that happens. “ there’s no use crying over spilled sap”

Eric
    Father Son Syrup
    Since 2006
    200 taps on buckets
    2 x 6 Dalliare raised flue
    15 x 21 sugarshack
    Kubota L3010,Polaris Ranger & Kipor Sap Buggy
    A wife that loves me. ❤

Had my biggest final product yet...3.5gallons and started boiling another 100 gallons (of 1% sap..boooo). Ran out of firewood and had to head to the farm to get more.

Looks like we will have a couple HOT days this wk but then drops back down for some great maple weather. Hope all is well with everyone.

IMG_0137.jpg

stress'n over today's awesome weather. ha. I have about 150 gallons boiled down to a concentrate of about 40 gallons...with an additional 80 gallons of sap from yesterdays collection sitting in the back of my truck. Its 73 now....and will hit 76 today. I won't get the fire started until about 5:30. I'd hate to have to dump everything. Thoughts? I don't think I've ever had sap sitting out on such a warm day.

Not really sure!

I just checked all my buckets. Most were cloudy, a few were yellow. I saved some to see how it smelled when I boil it but I'm going to get my older stuff done first. I'm guessing I'll be dumping most everything that collects in the next few days.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast