+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Western PA

Sure looks like a black maple leaf. I would guess that. Black is considered by most same as a sugar. I met some producers from Ontario years back who felt the black maple was slightly Superior to the sugar. I always found that interesting. They should produce better than 1%
    35 years making syrup.
    President of Ohio maple producers
    4000 taps today...hopefully 5000 soon with some high yields tapped in 10 years?
    Leader Dealer
    Mountain cur for a woods partner

They should but aren't. haha. Nothing like boiling 100 gallons to make 1 gallon. I'm only selling a limits number of bottles, this is just a hobby so its not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by karl evans View Post
    Sure looks like a black maple leaf. I would guess that. Black is considered by most same as a sugar. I met some producers from Ontario years back who felt the black maple was slightly Superior to the sugar. I always found that interesting. They should produce better than 1%

Sap ran a little today. But we did not gather. Spent time making candy, Sugar coating candy, making Maple BBQ and Maple mustard.
    Will gather and boil whats out there tomorrow. Seemed like a weeping run. Started to get some light drizzle at dark so that might help get the big maples running better.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I started drilling Friday evening. We finished up a new tubing system at my friend's so he can stop handling buckets Saturday including putting all the taps. Saturday PM we Finished all the sugar maple taps then cleaned out the shack and started cleaning everything. We got some decent run yesterday and I boiled for three hours and actually got the first draw in just over two hours. There was a full gallon in the jug by the end of the three hours. There was another nice run today but had no time to boil since my wife owns a flower shop and I had to help deliver. More sap coming and steady boiling starting again tomorrow night. I might get the last third of my taps which are on vacuum in this weekend..... Last night's syrup tasted awesome!
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

Thanks for this post. We tapped our trees on Sunday and we are getting a very slow drip at best. Maybe the sap will run on Thursday.

Brenda

Northwestern PA over here. Put out 64 buckets yesterday, drilling every hole by hand with my brace and bit. It was a gorgeous day in the woods and the sap was running nicely. I plan to put 50 more buckets out today. Evaporator is set up and ready to go. We're off and running!!!
    1999 30 taps, mom's stove, 2 gallons of something like syrup
    2000-02 30 taps, helped friends, more stove boiling, got maple addicted
    2003-06 50 buckets, gathered with my horses, boiled on shares, more stove boiling, 2nd place amateur syrup @ county fair
    2007-16 Worked with buddy that makes lots of syrup, got educated
    2017 100 buckets, 2x6 homebuilt evaporator, propane finisher. 20 gallons
    2018 115 buckets, new wood/sap wagon, two cage totes

I sent 80 gallons to the neighbors this morning. They've also got about forty taps. They boil about 10 gallons an hour so they should be busy all day today. The sap isn't running that well. The weather doesn't look to good also. Not many freezes next week. It will be tough on the buckets.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Sbedilion, your labels are awesome. How do you filter? That’s the main thing I can’t do as well as I’d like.

So all last year we collected 16 gallons of sap, I collected 15 today. This year will be a big success over last year.

Today I bottled 104 ounces of syrup, bringing our total to just over 2 gallons finished. That’s from 75 gallons of sap.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

I tapped 200 trees today, til the batteries ran out... the sap was flowing really well, but looks like a cool down for a few days up here. I normally tap the beginning of March, but this year looks unusual again.
    Beth in Bradford, PA
    2x6 Lightning, new Smoky Lake syrup pan for 2017
    270 taps on tubing, 20+ on buckets
    2018 - son made me an automatic drawoff, yet to be tested
    2018 - hubby made me a 2-handed tubing tool, works great!!!!

No way to check my sugar content but I've gathered about 60 gallons over the past two days in the rain. I'm not sure my jeans and boots will ever recover!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast