+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Western PA

After a series of screw ups I think I'm done for the season. I boiled a little sap today, chased the sweet a little and drained the evaporator. I collected about 1500 gal. this run but didn't quite boil that much I need to finish the front pan, filter and bulk pack the syrup. I should have about 12 gal.

Chris, nice looking sap hauler. I'd need to wax the BAT mobile to get as classy as you Good luck to everyone!
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

I read about the various evaporators on the market and wonder if I should step up from my three buffet pan system.
    That is, until I read details like Gary experienced and remember when I too found lots of smoke inside my sugar shack.
    After a quick check to make sure the shack wasn't burning down around me I realized one of the many lessons most syrup makers understand --- keep the liquid deep enough in your pans to avoid such issues.
    With my screw-ups even the worst problem has a simple fix --- buy a new full size buffet pan.
    And since I keep extras on hand, I'm right back in business if I still have any sap that didn't get destroyed.
    Sorry to hear about your bad luck and short season.
    I'm guessing you were tired and/or in a hurry and missed a step in your usual process.
    From my experience autopilot only takes me so far before my nemesis "Murphy" steps in.

Folks,
    Resting today with the temps in the single digits last night.
    Gary, Wow throwing in the towel already short season down south! Come up anytime!
    Yesterday was a little warmer and the sap was running a little. I had purchased some supplies to build the tank lifting system in the back of the truck. So I worked on that. Its a prototype which will probably not get many changes!

I uses a Harbor freight boat winch, couple of pulleys and 1.5 x 2 inch tubing, plus 4 3/8 bolts. Cut and fabbed the frame. Mounted the winch upside down to 'tuck' it inside the frame.

Added a 3/8 eye bolt to the tank frame for lifting.

So we had a small run of 180 gallons of 2%.My trees are on a route and it took me 2 hours to make the loop and get it picked up at 32 stops. Back at the sugarhouse: This lifting system allowed me to easily lift the almost empty tank and rinse it out after gathering.
    (saved some strain on the back) Was about $100 in materials. I was going to go with a power winch but felt that was over kill.

So as the temp went towards 10 degrees, I boiled in the sap and made 5 gallons of Amber syrup. Bringing our early total to about 20 gallons. Slim chance of a run this weekend as the temps will get back up near freezing but not much higher.
    Tried a couple new old things last night. Ran the sap 1/2 inch lower. syrup came off a little more consistent. On shut down I drew off 3-4 gallons of sweet to be saved for the next start up as the pans blend during shut down. Also added some sweet in the float box to bring the sugar content up. Checked the cold evaporator this morning and the temp in the pans were still 39 degrees F.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

I ended up with 13 3/8 gallons. It's all packed away. My neighbors want to make syrup. They may use my entire operation instead of their buckets and a flat pan.

Polish Wizard, The greater the reward the bigger the risk. I'm able to evaporate up to 60 gallons of sap per hour. My failures just cost more About where do you boil in Mercer county? I'd like to check it out some day if you don't mind.

Chris, I'll be around some day for some wisdom.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Gary...sorry to hear about the short season, but the upside is....um more free time for other hobbies

Chris...I like the lift. Last night I was trying to muscle my tote up so i could slide a brick under the back of it so I could get the last couple gallons of sap out the front. Your lift is def a back saver.

Boiled 100 gallons down yesterday on my new flat pan (3ftx4ft)...its the same size as my previous setup of two 2ft x 3ft pans set side by side, but it felt like things went sooo much quicker. Maybe one of these years i'll try a continuous pan. Collected about 300 gallons so far this season and made about 3 gallons of syrup. It looks like things will start to pick up this weekend with steady temps above freezing in the day...although I thought that 2 weeks ago..hahaha.

pan.jpg

pan2.jpg

If weather.com is right, there should be a nice run next week. I'll be tapping on Thursday and Friday.

This has actually been a nice break over the last few days. So far I've collected almost 60 gallons of sap and finished 1.3 gallons of syrup. I just need to get my filtering down.
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    Gary...sorry to hear about the short season, but the upside is....um more free time for other hobbies

Chris...I like the lift. Last night I was trying to muscle my tote up so i could slide a brick under the back of it so I could get the last couple gallons of sap out the front. Your lift is def a back saver.

Boiled 100 gallons down yesterday on my new flat pan (3ftx4ft)...its the same size as my previous setup of two 2ft x 3ft pans set side by side, but it felt like things went sooo much quicker. Maybe one of these years i'll try a continuous pan. Collected about 300 gallons so far this season and made about 3 gallons of syrup. It looks like things will start to pick up this weekend with steady temps above freezing in the day...although I thought that 2 weeks ago..hahaha.

Attachment 17417

Attachment 17418
    Thanks!
    Hope your season in the lower part of the state is good. If you run out of things to do or your season is done we are having our Taste and tour event March 17 and 18 10-4 each day. About 5 sugarhouses around our area and 15 I think on the tour.
    Check it out on PAmaple.org.

Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Gary;
    Sorry to hear this! Laura told me you were done for the season but not that you had "difficulties".
    Unfortunately, I know this exact scenario.
    I now have "valve" written on the SS float box cover so that when I pull the covers, I am reminded to open the valve.
    I got lucky though with no leaks but the warps caused minor scorching issues so I bought a new one this summer.
    I hope to be boiling by the 17th.
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

Checked my trees this morning, dumped everything that I found but all are running nicely so I'm hoping tomorrow will be a good day

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast