+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Western PA

Gary,
    Folks,
    Sounds like PA is off and running.
    I set the last three sap collection containers (50 gallon) this afternoon, and while out there taped about a third of the sugarbush.
    Should have the rest tapped by tomorrow afternoon, Then just set back and watch the money roll in! Still have some tanks to clean and then test the pumps. Looking forward to trying this new sap hauler in 2018!
    Hoping for a run this week end and then maybe another mid week, after that its anyone's guess as to what will happen. I do know that we were all done March 9 last year. That is only about 6 weeks out, so I don't think we are far off tapping now. And if we hold our mouth just right, might make 20 gallons of early syrup in the next week?
    Gary, How was your grade for this early? Should have been pretty good!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Sap isn't running that great but I have about 230 in the tank. Will start boiling this afternoon. I hope to be done for the season by the end of this coming week but it's not looking good.

Chris, the grade is as always. I don't have a grade kit but this first run is maybe amber. I'm sure I'll be middle dark starting today. What's the new sap collector?
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Boy I hope the season isn't over by next week. Had our best day today. Collected 12 gallons. Last year we got 16 total.
    I made 6 jars of finished syrup last night. I need to come up with a good filter setup. I filtered twice and still have some sand.
    Delicious though. I like it better than last year's syrup.
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

Seeing all you guys tapping and boiling has me a little envious.
    I usually wait until Feb to start and as such I just am not ready.
    I guess I'll work to be ready for Feb and enjoy your logs until then.
    2 x 6 A&A raised flue w/ preheater, OFA & UFA
    600 gal Zero tank
    125 taps on vacuum w/homemade releaser, 70 on gravity, 75 on buckets + a partner with 100 more buckets
    7" short stack Wesfab press
    Homemade water jacketed canner
    Polaris Ranger sap hauler
    Two English Setters to keep watch on things

Sap hasn't been flowing that great. Boiled 350 gallons yesterday and made about 4 gallons of syrup. Gotta love that 1% sap

Randy, I don't think you've missed that much. Looks like a long cold spell coming up.

Hoppy, the season has barely started for most. I only need to make enough for some family and friends. I've got the capacity to do a lot more, just not the ambition. Great to see all you guys enjoying it.
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

Folks,
    Gary,
    Local maple meeting yesterday was very good to see old friends and had a good meal.
    I had higher expectations for sap quantity yesterday as the weather was warm and rainy. Any way I did gather 550 gallons of 2%. Sweetened the pans by 9:00 last night and made 2.5 gallons of Amber syrup prior to shutdown. All systems worked good and Gary the new sap hauler is a truck upgrade. 2015 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Power Stroke. Has 2 inch rear lift and I added Timbren rubber overload bumpers to carry the sap load. Yesterday I only loaded 220 gallons and I had minimal sag. I was draging the dump system on the other truck. This is a used unit with lots of miles but seems like its going to be a good truck for hauling. Just a big expensive toy!
    Yesterday:

Regards,
    Chris
    Last edited by Sugarmaker; 01-28-2018 at 09:15 PM.
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarmaker View Post
    Folks,
    Gary,
    Local maple meeting yesterday was very good to see old friends and had a good meal.
    I had higher expectations for sap quantity yesterday as the weather was warm and rainy. Any way I did gather 550 gallons of 2%. Sweetened the pans by 9:00 last night and made 2.5 gallons on Amber syrup prior to shutdown. All systems worked good and Gary the new sap hauler is a truck upgrade. 2015 Ford F250 Lariat, 6.7 Power Stroke. Has 2 inch rear lift and I added Timbren rubber overload bumpers to carry the sap load. Yesterday I only loaded 220 gallons and I had minimal sag. I was draging the dump system on the other truck. This is a used unit with lots of miles but seems like its going to be a good truck for hauling. Just a big expensive toy!
    Yesterday:

Regards,
    Chris
    That's a great rig! Of course with my biggest yet haul of 12 gallons, I was almost overloaded myself!

The 12 is boiled down to about 1 now and I'm headed out to collect.
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

Picked up another 10 gallons today. I'm so small time I'm getting overloaded. Looking forward to a freeze, but having fun making it.

I collected almost 50 gallons today from 15 taps. First boil tomorrow!

Every one is doing good, no matter what size operation. Sometimes I feel making a gallon or two would be just as much fun! Its all about the scale of your operation and how much you like to watch water boil and or play with fire!
    Just got back from gathering and visiting at a new sugarhouse in the neighborhood too. They were boiling like crazy at about 40 gph. Making nice flavored Amber to dark syrup.
    I collected 480 gallons of sap this afternoon/ evening. Was very impressed with the sap hauler when fully loaded (ok maybe a little overloaded at 350 gallons of sap in the tank and the dumping station combined.) It only dropped the rear end about 3-4 inches. Much better than the previous 2009 F250 which was a tail drager when loaded.
    Since I don't have to work tomorrow (or ever) I decided to get the sap into the tanks in the sugarhouse loft and call it a night. We can boil tomorrow. It was just starting to freeze at 6:30.
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    Too many Cub Cadets

www.mapleandhoney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast