+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112

Thread: Tapping in Western PA

Collected 50 gallons yesterday of 0.000000000000001% sap (haha kidding). Kinda thought I would have more sap....but I'm fine with that. 2 of my 3 lines are still running good. My 3rd is being weird and barely running. I walked the line and saw slight movement in the line all the way to the first tap. Its my newest line and right next to my other 2 lines....so it shouldn't have any variables that are different than the other 2 lines.

I have 20 gallons of concentrate and 50 gallons of sap to work on tonight/tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by sbedilion View Post
    Nice work! My kids winter sports wrapped up yesterday. No spring sports for them It's bike season.....well after this cold spell.
    Considering I didn't even think I'd be able to do anything after my hip surgery, this is a win in my book

Hi from the frozen tundra outside of Bradford PA.... no sap since late February!

On the bright side, I've been lurking all over here all month and have re-energized my enthusiasm! I'm almost done with a bubbler for my syrup pan... in the 10 years I've had this 2x6, I've never made anything but dark syrup no matter what I tweaked. Great flavor, and don't really mind the color, but unless the sap is perfectly cold, clear & fresh I get ALOT of niter FAST in the syrup pan. So we'll see if the bubbler reduces the cleaning effort.

Also decided, after realizing I don't have the time to boil all night anymore, we (hubby has been drafted) have also decided to build an RO for next year!

Happy boiling!!
    Beth in Bradford, PA
    2x6 Lightning, new Smoky Lake syrup pan for 2017
    270 taps on tubing, 20+ on buckets
    2018 - son made me an automatic drawoff, yet to be tested
    2018 - hubby made me a 2-handed tubing tool, works great!!!!

Tired of the tundra! Ready for some spring weather! Might get sled dogs next year!
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
    Sbedilion, your labels are awesome. How do you filter? That’s the main thing I can’t do as well as I’d like.

So all last year we collected 16 gallons of sap, I collected 15 today. This year will be a big success over last year.

Today I bottled 104 ounces of syrup, bringing our total to just over 2 gallons finished. That’s from 75 gallons of sap.
    Wow, been out of it for 5 years now. I hope you all don't mind a newbie question. I still have a bunch of this syrup. At least a gallon. Is it OK to use? I remember one bottle looking like it had strands of stuff in it at one point then it cleared again. Should I reboil it? Do I just have to toss it? Thanks for the help!

I have 3 big maples available to me this year so if I've been thinking about tapping again.

Hoppy
    2017 - Started with 5 taps, added 2 more. 16 gallons of sap. 58 ounces of syrup. Boiled in a 4" water pan on my camp stove. Finished in the kitchen.
    2018 - Expanding to a relatives property. Upgrading my boiling setup to a double pan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112