+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapping in Western PA

Hybrid View

Default Tapping in Western PA

I'm going to run my first line tomorrow (3/16th) and hopefully tap tomorrow. Last year I tapped Mid-January (roughly 50 taps on bags/buckets) and had a great season. If all goes well...I'll probably add another run or 2 during the weekend. Probably throw out a few buckets also.

Ran my first line yesterday. Tapped early so I can figure out the whole tubing thing and work the bugs out. What a pain it is to setup a line without a tubing tool!!! I plan on running 2-3 more lines in a wk or 2 once I get a better picture of the forecast.

Sap was flowing pretty good yesterday. I was surprised since it was the first day above freezing since this deep freeze hit us.

Happy 2018 everyone! I woke up today, looked at the weather and said why not. Fixed up the tubing this morning and the laterals were unthawed. Put the evaporator together this afternoon and cleaned some tanks. I've got some more cleaning to do but plan on tapping and turning the pump on tomorrow. Hope to boil Monday. I'll pull the plug at about 20 gallons so I might only be boiling for a week or two. If your waiting, stop in and tell some stories. Good luck to everyone!
    136 on high vacuum for 2019
    A&A 2X8, raised flue evaporator
    hood, parallel flow pre heater and air over fire
    12X28 sugar shack

I wrote this in the Pennsylvania thread already but I put out 6 taps in the backyard today. Sap was dripping nicely. 10 more coming in the mail tomorrow supposedly. I have a relative with 3 huge sugar maples and am hoping to tap those tomorrow afternoon or Monday.

I boiled last year in a 4 inch steam pan on my camp stove. I'm in the middle of upgrading that setup to two pans that will sit on some burners. I welded up a framework and need to finish it up with some sheet metal to help keep the heat in. Hope to remember to get some pictures along the way.

I collected today at noon, so that's 21 hours after tapping. With 6 taps I collected a little more than 1/4 gallon so what looked like good dripping apparently stopped pretty soon after.

10 more taps arrived this morning. I have one more tree on my property I can tap an then I have to go to the relatives.
    I hope it picks up.

I wouldn't worry too much. It's still pretty early. I just put in 7 taps myself in my backyard. All the tap holes were wet and I could hear a few dripping nicely in the buckets as I walked away.

Boiled 227 gallons yesterday. Turned the pump off but should be back at it Friday.
    12X28 sugar shack

Quote Originally Posted by Gary R View Post
    Boiled 227 gallons yesterday. Turned the pump off but should be back at it Friday.
    Gary,
    Good to see your out there making syrup. I heard the sugar content was good this last run?
    May tap Friday???
    Regards,
    Chris
    Casbohm Maple and Honey
    625 roadside taps + Neighbors bring some sap too!
    3x10 King, WRU, AOF and AUF
    12" SIRO Filter Press.
    2015 Ford F250 PSD sap hauler
    One Golden named Maggie, Norwegian Forest Cat named Lucy
    Too many Cub Cadets
    Ford Jubilee and several Allis WD's, and IH tractors
    1932 Ford AAB ton and a half, dump truck

www.mapleandhoney.com

Sap hasn't been flowing that great. Boiled 350 gallons yesterday and made about 4 gallons of syrup. Gotta love that 1% sap

Randy, I don't think you've missed that much. Looks like a long cold spell coming up.

Hoppy, the season has barely started for most. I only need to make enough for some family and friends. I've got the capacity to do a lot more, just not the ambition. Great to see all you guys enjoying it.
    12X28 sugar shack

I've got more than 200 gallons in the tank. One of my 3/16" barrels was overflowing. Need to get my stacks up and light a fire this evening.
    12X28 sugar shack

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast