+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ProCon (vane) vs Gould (multistage) Pumps for RO

Yes head pressure from the tank and sap filtered prior to going into tank to eliminate the potential for any chunks going through procon. A feed pump could still be used and may be advised, but powering the unit from a generator was my deciding factor in the configuration.

When I was figuring out the pump curve for mine to see how many membranes it was good for I contacted weber.
    I told them I was feeding the pump with 60 psi feed pump and they explained to me that their curve charts are at 0psi. So if you feed at 60 psi you take 60 psi off your desired flow rate at that psi. So if your looking at 200 psi then you look at the 140 psi flow rates on the pump curve.
    I have my 1 membrane fed with a 3/4" and I can't get the pressure below 140 psi even with the recirc open and the concentrate valve wide open. And flow gauges say I'm doing 9 gpm across membranes. So I'm going to add a membrane this year in parallel to bring initial pressure down. If the pump can't keep up I will put it in series.
    600 taps on vacuum
    Lapierre mechanical Releaser
    CDL electric releaser
    2.5 x 10 CDL Venturi ( new for the 2024 season )
    Home made modulating auto draw off
    Homemade RO 2 x 4" membranes
    CDL 16 x 16 bottler
    Wesfab 7" filter press
    Delaval 73 vacuum pumps

12 hives of bees

The procon 600 needs a positive feed pressure of at least 20 psi. I plumbed the filters in parallel and ran a return line to the intake side of the procon. The second procon will be for high pressure re circulation. Bought the motor from Harbor Freight mainly for price but it ran well.

I would recommend adding the second membrane in series to keep your flow high through the membranes. As far as the pressure not dropping, I would look at going to a larger size concentrate valve since restriction of flow is what creates pressure. Just my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg MacWilliam View Post
    The procon 600 needs a positive feed pressure of at least 20 psi.
    Absolutely required for the larger procons!

Quote Originally Posted by Bricklayer View Post
    I have my 1 membrane fed with a 3/4" and I can't get the pressure below 140 psi even with the recirc open and the concentrate valve wide open.
    This cause any issues when you were in wash cycle?
    550 Taps - bags
    3x7 flat pan
    Ford 860 with halftracks
    Lots of help from friends, neighbors and family

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12