+ Reply to Thread

Thread: From the deep freeze to tapping weather? Anyone tapping?

Default From the deep freeze to tapping weather? Anyone tapping?

It's been arctic. As I type this, it is -6 outside, with a feels like temp in the -20s, but the 15 day forecast for northeastern Massachusetts has 13 days with temps above freezing during the day and below freezing at night. Anyone tapping?

Regards,
    Kyle

I would say not yet Kyle, based on several thoughts. I am not a Maple Vet but my 50 + years on this earth tells me this winter is shaping up tougher than last few winters in the northeast. Its easy to get tempted with a January thaw but I think unless your particular setup includes checkvalve taps and full time vacuum you might be losing out on good sap in late feb early march due to bacteria especially if your running sugar maples and not reds. Another thing is keep an I on posts from VA, NJ, and MD because they kickoff first every year. For me, I am thinking last week of January for taps. Best of Luck!
    Mike

Slight warm up on the weekend.......thinking about stringing some lines. Hope the temps holds true.
    1st Year Turkey Fryer Guru-10 taps and No Clue
    2nd Year Warming Pans on a Barrel Unit-25 taps Still No Clue
    3rd Year 2 X 3 Divided Pan on a NEW Homemade Barrel Unit-45 taps Starting To Learn
    4th year (2017) Mason 2 X 3 Inside Small Shack-85 Taps I Think I'm Addicted!!

I think I'm going to get in the game this weekend. The next 10 days or so are looking pretty good.

I'm seriously thinking about tapping this weekend. It seems crazy early, especially on buckets. But the forecast seems to be saying it's time... I'm going to wait until NOAA puts out their new model for February, which should come out on Thursday, to decide for sure.
    2016: Homemade arch from old wood stove; 2 steam tray pans; 6 taps; 1.1 gal
    2017: Same setup. 15 taps; 4.5 gal
    2018: Same setup. Limited time. 12 taps and short season; 2.2 gal
    2019: Very limited time. 7 taps and a short season; 1.8 gals
    2020: New Mason 2x3 XL halfway through season; 9 taps 2 gals
    2021: Same 2x3, 18 taps, 4.5 gals
    2022: 23 taps, 5.9 gals
    2023: 23 taps. Added AUF, 13.2 gals
    2024: 17 taps
    All on buckets

+ Reply to Thread