+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Verona Winter Conf. at VVS

Default Verona Winter Conf. at VVS

I saw several members at the conf. last night, including Peter Gregg, the owner of this site. Attendance looked good, but maybe not quite as many as last year. I think it will be close or more than last year today. I'll be looking for more Traders to say high to today. I'm heading out in a few minutes.
    For your walk into the school, dress warm, it IS COLD (about -5 right now and wind gusts up to about 30 mph), and I'm only 12 minutes away.
    Dave
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Was nice to see you and others there today Dave. Good talks, good meal, lots of coffee and donuts, and good meeting and chatting with lots of maple producers and vendors. Altogether a nice time in NY.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Dr Tim, it was nice to finally get a chance to chat with you too. Good presentation on what makes the sap flow. I had it all wrong as I'll bet many others did too.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

I hope everyone got back home safely, it was brutally cold for sure too all except Dr Tim, he was like the teenagers who used to ride my bus, no coat, and they "never got cold" according to them.
    Dr. Tim, I hope your car warmed quickly.

UVM Proctor Maple Research Center, Underhill Ctr, VT

Thanks Dave....as I said, I didn't want to carry my coat around all day, and since I'm lazier than I am smart, a few minutes of being cold when I headed out to the car was the price to pay. In any case, the trip home went well and I got here by 7:30pm and got to sleep in my own bed. Another successful and interesting trip to Verona. Thanks to the planners of the show...Keith, the FFA crew at VVS, Steve Childs, the great cooks and all the rest. See you all next year (hopefully) and best wishes to all on a good 2018 sugaring season.
    Dr. Tim Perkins
    UVM Proctor Maple Research Ctr
    http://www.uvm.edu/~pmrc
    https://mapleresearch.org
    Timothy.Perkins@uvm.edu

Glad to hear the trip home went well. A lot of people described their ride to Vernon as "hairy" with the snow and wind. Apparently a few presenters and exhibitors never made it because of the weather.

Yes, another good Conference. Great presentations on sap and syrup production and some really good presentations on marketing products- with a lot of examples of merchandising, both at the sugarhouse and online.

Already looking forward to next years conference!
    2014 Upgrades!: 24x40 sugarhouse & 30"x10' Lapierre welded pans, wood fired w/ forced draft, homemade hood & preheater
    400 taps- half on gravity 5/16, half on gravity 3/16
    Airablo R.O. machine - in the house basement!
    Ford F-350 4x4 sap gatherer
    An assortment of barrels, cage tanks & bulk tanks- with one operational for cooling/holding concentrate
    And a few puzzled neighbors...

http://s606.photobucket.com/albums/t...uckethead1920/

+ Reply to Thread