+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Deja vu

Hybrid View

Default Deja vu

Is anyone else experiencing Deja Vu when looking at the forecast? I'm seeing the same thing as last year. No long deep freeze (other than the past week) and warm weather coming already. Jan 17 & 18 are supposed to be in the 50's in southern Indiana. Anyone pulling the trigger soon?

Yes I will be tapping mine in the Mitchell,IN area this weekend. The weather looks better than last year. Not as warm for the extended forecast. Probably take a few days to thaw out. Overall the season in this area is generally short so I get while the gettings good. I do use tubing and change my taps every year and drops every two. I only have 30-40 taps so every drop counts.

Your weather might be a bit different down there, but here it looks nothing like last year. Last year no real frost and decent snow cover. This year we have almost 5 feet of frost and avg snow. Going to take a lot of days in the 40's just to thaw them out.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by jmayerl View Post
    Your weather might be a bit different down there, but here it looks nothing like last year. Last year no real frost and decent snow cover. This year we have almost 5 feet of frost and avg snow. Going to take a lot of days in the 40's just to thaw them out.
    Kind of hard to believe the frost is down 5 feet already!? I think thats a bit of a stretch. I know its going down, we only have about 2 inches of snow on the ground over on the west side of the state and the above zero days have been pretty scarce since Christmas, but I really don't believe its down 5 feet....at least yet and for sure not in the woods. Another 2 solid weeks of this and it would be believable, but from what I hear temps are forecast to moderate.
    Mark

Where we made syrup long before the trendies made it popular, now its just another commodity.

John Deere 4000, 830, and 420 crawler
    1400 taps, 600 gph CDL RO, 4x12 wood-fired Leader, forced air and preheater. 400 gallon Sap-O-Matic vacuum gathering tank, PTO powered. 2500 gallon X truck tank, 17 bulk tanks.
    No cage tanks allowed on this farm!

Quote Originally Posted by markcasper View Post
    Kind of hard to believe the frost is down 5 feet already!? I think thats a bit of a stretch. I know its going down, we only have about 2 inches of snow on the ground over on the west side of the state and the above zero days have been pretty scarce since Christmas, but I really don't believe its down 5 feet....at least yet and for sure not in the woods. Another 2 solid weeks of this and it would be believable, but from what I hear temps are forecast to moderate.
    Well that's how deep the water line was that we had to dig up and repair because it was frozen, so you can believe whatever you want to I guess. We also just had our swamp woods logged out and they had no issues breaking though with skidders or log trucks so I just guess our weather on this side of the state has been more extreme than yours.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Andrew, good luck to you also. I checked my two runs, and one was dry (on a north slope), and one has about 40 gal (east slope). I need to rig up the tank on the ATV before that freezes. I have other repair to do today, but will be tapping tomorrow.
    2014 - 30 taps
    2015 - 50 taps
    2016 - 140 taps
    2017 - 115 taps - 85 taps on 3/16, 30 buckets
    2018 - 150 taps, all 3/16

Smokey Lake 2x3
    Homemade 2x XLE-4040 RO Unit
    Kubota L3940 - big sap hauler
    Polaris Sportsman 570 SP - little sap hauler
    I'm 1:20 remote from sugarbush, so I let run awhile between boils, and time is at a premium, so I try to oversize things

Collected 80 gallons, first boil tomorrow!

First boil of the season went smoothly, 80 gallons reduced to 3.5, will finish on propane. great day to be in the sugarhouse, had sun, snow, cold temps, and steam rising from the cupola through it all. Felt good.

Got around 125 gal sap from Sat. when it started running until Sun about noon when I collected. Gotta love 3/16. I had 29" of vacuum on one run. Ran it through the RO and it worked like a charm. Took it down to about 10 gal at 12%. I only finally got it going for a small run at the end of
    last season; so 1st real serious run with it.Fired up pan and ended up with about 5 gal of 25% when I decided to call it a day because it was getting late. Brought that home and plan to concentrate it on my propane finishing pan at home. All in all, a great warm-up weekend. Got all the equipment out, got everything clean and hooked up. Figured out a next round of improvements. Hoping for a killer run next weekend.
    2014 - 30 taps
    2015 - 50 taps
    2016 - 140 taps

Smokey Lake 2x3
    I'm 1:20 remote from sugarbush, so I let run awhile between boils, and time is at a premium, so I try to oversize things

Up to 143 tapped, all on 3/16. Decided to stop tapping (I have a few more preplanned runs on hold), and go back and check for leaks on the already run lines. Found a few. Installed a few vacuum gauges. Figured I’d try to maximize yield on the runs closest to my homebase. Everything was running good. Hoping to get enough overnight to fire up the RO and knock the cobwebs out of it tomorrow before what’ll hopefully be a killer next weekend.
    2014 - 30 taps
    2015 - 50 taps
    2016 - 140 taps

Smokey Lake 2x3

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast