+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Deja vu

Default Deja vu

Is anyone else experiencing Deja Vu when looking at the forecast? I'm seeing the same thing as last year. No long deep freeze (other than the past week) and warm weather coming already. Jan 17 & 18 are supposed to be in the 50's in southern Indiana. Anyone pulling the trigger soon?

Yes I will be tapping mine in the Mitchell,IN area this weekend. The weather looks better than last year. Not as warm for the extended forecast. Probably take a few days to thaw out. Overall the season in this area is generally short so I get while the gettings good. I do use tubing and change my taps every year and drops every two. I only have 30-40 taps so every drop counts.

Your weather might be a bit different down there, but here it looks nothing like last year. Last year no real frost and decent snow cover. This year we have almost 5 feet of frost and avg snow. Going to take a lot of days in the 40's just to thaw them out.
    custom made 2x7 intensofire
    With SL pans
    250 deer run
    300 3/16 (new 2016)
    500 sacks around the neighborhood

Huxta, what part of IN are you tapping? I'm around Mt. Vernon and not sure if tapping is happening yet. Will be running lines over the next week though.

I've learned the last few years it seems smart to get tapped early, but I'm also no fan of spending the day in 0 degree weather putting in 100 or more taps by myself on my hill that rises 300' over the course of 700' (6 runs running from the top of the hill to the bottom). I am also hopeful the serious cold will allow me a couple of days in the 40's to tap while things thaw...I'm going to need it to replace all my taps and many sections of my 3/16th tubing that has mold in it. Wishful thinking...
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Franklin View Post
    I've learned the last few years it seems smart to get tapped early, but I'm also no fan of spending the day in 0 degree weather putting in 100 or more taps by myself on my hill that rises 300' over the course of 700' (6 runs running from the top of the hill to the bottom). I am also hopeful the serious cold will allow me a couple of days in the 40's to tap while things thaw...I'm going to need it to replace all my taps and many sections of my 3/16th tubing that has mold in it. Wishful thinking...
    I don't replace tubing that has mold in it. I let the first run go on the ground to flush the lines and then start saving the sap. The heat from boiling will kill any mold spores in the sap and filtering gets the dead mold spores out of the finished syrup.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

PoseyCoMark, I am outside of corydon.

Thanks Russ! That will save me some time!
    2014 - 8 taps, turkey fryer, 130 gallons sap, just under 2.5 gallons syrup.
    2015 - 50 taps and counting.
    2016 - 60 taps on 3/16 and a Bill Mason evaporator on order.
    2017 - 115 taps on 3/16, homemade r/o.
    2018 - 150 taps on 3/16, r/o a big help, but lots of leaks killing yield.
    2019 - sticking with 150 taps or maybe less, focusing on good vacuum and less waste to increase yield. Doubling up my r/o, and made a vacuum filter that looks promising.

I put out 50 taps this afternoon, will hang buckets tomorrow. Will probably put another 30-40 on 3/16” tubing next weekend. If the forecast holds, I think we may get a run mid week. This is the earliest we have ever tapped, but only been sugaring 4 years, so not exactly a wealth of experience under our belts. Here’s to hoping Indiana has a great season.

I'm heading out to my patch this weekend; but I'm not remotely ready for the season. I'm planning on adding about 5 more gravity runs; but don't have the tubing for them yet. I did finally get my homemade RO working for the last run last year; but don't really have much experiance running it yet. I have other issues to deal with at my bush (1:20 from home, Crawford Co.) in that my water was frozen last weekend and I may need to dig up and repair a line; so I'm not sure what I'll get done. That said, goal will be to get one gravity run installed. My plan is no buckets this year (to which my 5 kids are extremely happy to be off bucket washing detail).
    2014 - 30 taps
    2015 - 50 taps
    2016 - 140 taps
    2017 - 115 taps - 85 taps on 3/16, 30 buckets
    2018 - 150 taps, all 3/16

Smokey Lake 2x3
    Homemade 2x XLE-4040 RO Unit
    Kubota L3940 - big sap hauler
    Polaris Sportsman 570 SP - little sap hauler
    I'm 1:20 remote from sugarbush, so I let run awhile between boils, and time is at a premium, so I try to oversize things

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast