+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Missouri Tapping Season

So did your trees start gushing sap yesterday before it re-froze?

We ended up with about a gallon per tree. Not what I was hoping for, but a good trial run for all the equipment. About ready to make the first draw off the evaporator.
    Uh-oh. Wife just came in from sugarhouse and caught me on the trader and watching McLintock!
    Last edited by Goggleeye; 01-12-2018 at 01:46 PM.
    Now I have an outdoor hobby for all 12 months. Like I need anything more to do
    About 1000 taps on gravity tubing, MicRO2 RO, 2.5 X 8 Leader King, and a 1953 Willys Jeep to run around the maple woods with.
    http://www.gihringfamilyfarm.com/

Most of my trees didn't produce a drop last week. I got maybe 2 gallons total from the only 3 trees running. I haven't tapped most of these maples before so hopefully this isn't a sign of a whole lot of bad tapping trees. I'm hoping the roots are still just frozen and the 3 days above freezing weren't enough to thaw them. Better temps coming next week so good luck to all!

Kyle

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
    ~75 taps
    5/16th tubing to buckets
    homemade steam pan evaporator
    two great assistants (my kids)!

In the 12 years I have been doing this I have always tapped in the first 2 weeks of February. I may try putting taps in a little early this year see how it goes. I am also in Defiance not a a lot of syrup makers in Missouri. With 85 trees tapped kgingerich if we get good weather you are going to be busy!!

John
    50+ taps mix of sugar maples, blacks and reds
    Home built oil tank evaporator airtight w/Auf blower
    2x4 flat continuous flow pan
    Steam pan filter bottler
    Honda big red and 6gal containers for sap collection
    55gal blue barrels for storage
    Looking to build sugar shack for equipment storage

I have joined up in hoping my comments may help the community. I read your guy's posts and try to see if my plans are close to what more experienced people are doing. Last year I tapped 60. Started late, and finished early when the weather skyrocketed warm. This year I plan on tapping Jan 21st. A neighbor down the street has had his in for over a week. He's been doing this quite a bit longer so maybe he knows something I don't. Only doing this 3 years now. Boy, I have sure learned alot so far.

This will be my fourth year. I have 24 taps. I have just been using the weather as my guide. My understanding is the flow is related to when the day time temperature if over freezing and the night time is below freezing.

The weather forecast for next week looks promising, so I plan to install the taps this weekend and see what happens!

This is my first year. I've been watching the forecast for the temperature fluctuations and will be starting my taps this weekend. I only have 2 trees - 1 at my parents' house and 1 at my in-laws house. With everything else in my life, I think that's enough to keep me busy. Good luck to you all that have dozens of trees!

I put in about 20 more taps last night late and collected sap just now. Out of approximately 40 taps I got 4 gallons of sap. 90% of that sap came from just a few trees up on the top of my hill. All of the trees on the sides of the hill and at the bottom didn't have much if anything in the buckets. I'm glad to see the sap flowing but can't wait for the rest of the trees to kick it into gear!

I think now is the time for tapping though... temps looking good for the next 10 days.

Good luck to all!

Looks like this coming week will be good for sap flow once this warm spell passes. Tapped 47 trees on Thurs Jan 18 but there was no flow as trees were too cold still. Im going to tap the other 155 trees tomorrow and Monday and get the pans set up. Please all Missouri producers share your progress and experience or questions. Looking for Skinny in Callaway County to join in and give us his status.
    2020: 220 trees, most smaller than 20" diameter, made 25 gallons
    remote location in western Cole County
    5/16" plastic spiles, drain into plastic buckets or sapsaks
    haul sap out of woods using atv & trailer
    wood-fired pans on concrete blocks
    one Leader Half Pint 24 x 33" plus 24 x 30 ss pan from a junkyard
    cook batch process then finish in the kitchen;
    we dont sell our syrup; its for family & friends
    see website www.mosyrup.com

Turns out the in-laws have 3 trees that can be tapped. Anybody know a store near St. Louis where I can get a few additional supplies?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast