+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jamaica Cottage Shop feedback?

My sugarhouse is all hemlock except for the pressure treated (PT) posts. No issue. Screw or nail using twisted nails for better grip. A twisted nail has super grip, but I prefer screws. If Jamaica Cottage deals with good saw mills, they will not have shake. Shake can be seen while still in the log and a good mill will then only use that for low grade applications like pallet boards and such, or even shred it for mulch. In my entire sugarhouse I only ended up with one 2x4 with shake.
    Shake is when the growth rings come apart.
    Hemlock has many advantages, it can get wet a lot without rotting and it can actually hold up to some ground contact, but by no means like PT lumber. The strength of hemlock lumber is a lot more than pine, the pine in the kit will likely only be trim boards.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

My Sugarhouse is all Hemlock except for some pine boards for siding. Hemlock is great wood to build with and I have built many barns with it over the years. I have been to Jamaica Cottages a couple of times and looked over the buildings they have on display. They look well built and have good materials.
    Sugaring for 45+ years
    New Sugarhouse 14'x32'
    New to Me Algier 2'x8' wood fired evaporator
    2022 added a used RB25 RO Bucket
    250 mostly Sugar Maples, 15% Soft Maples. Currently,(110on 3/16" and 125 on Shurflo 4008 vacuum, 15 gravity), (16,000 before being disabled)
    1947 Farmall H and Wagon with gathering tank
    2012 Kubota with forks to move wood around

Back when CDL was located in Clarendon VT they had a JCS sugarhouse set up there. Really well built with what appeared as full cut dimensional lumber. I would buy from them especially if you are short on time to build yourself or lack the skills.
    Miscoe Hill Maple
    2015 PJ Evaporator (Phaneuf) 2x6 drop flue
    2x6 WF Mason Arch
    ~250 taps on a Guzzler & Shurflo
    12x20 WF Mason Filter/Canner
    12x16 Sugarhouse

I purchased the plans for the 16x20 primarily because I have good hemlock on my property. I have 3 trees out of the woods, looking to get 8 or 9 more cut any day now. (18-24" diameter) My cousin has a woodmizer band sawmill and told me it'd only take him 2 or 3 days to mill everything up that I need, and charges $40/hr. That right there is probably the biggest reason I didn't make a go at the pre-cut kit. Now, like you, I just need to get my *** in gear to be sure it's ready for syrup season. I'm building it with the plywood floor and skids only because I know it won't be the last sugarhouse, I will need to go bigger in 3 or 4 years and I'll just move this one and turn it into a barn.
    Road's End Farm - Starting small with no end in sight!

I purchased the plans for a 12 x 16 sugarhouse and sourced the lumber from a local sawmill. At the time the precut kits were a little expensive. Myself and one other guy assembled the house in a few weekends. The plans were good until you got to the rafters. The lengths they wanted you to cut would have been way too short. Other than that they were good. I used hemlock for the frame and pine for the siding and trim. I will post pictures when I get a chance. I also made the walls taller because I am 6' -5" so they height they had in the plans would have not worked. We added a shed roof for wood storage. I figured out how much it cost me for the sugarhouse and I just came in below the fully assembled one. BUt I poured a 12 x 24 slab too. Right now JCS has stuff on sale from what I have been told.
    Pure Mountain Maple
    Lapierre Mini-Pro
    12x16 sugarhouse
    John Deere 1050 4wd
    John Deere 2130 HFWD
    2- 35 gallon leg tanks, one 65 gallon leg tank
    100 gallon sap feed-tank
    Started with 12 buckets on a flat pan 2013
    2023 - 55 taps. all buckets

As an update I did order a 16x20 from JCS, they were OK to deal with. ultimately they got my kit to me on the day it was promised (i elected to pick it up to save a week). The only problem i have with them is they play all sorts of pricing games. The long and the short is i got my kit for a great deal, but if you're going to buy from them, check their pricing for a few weeks or month prior and make sure you save as much as possible. the price fluctuated $5,000 on my kit in 3 weeks from order to pickup.

It took myself and 2 carpenters about 2 days to get to this point. Hoping to get it closed up tomorrow and start moving in the evaporator and equipment.

20180125_164450.jpg
    20180125_164423.jpg
    20180124_171528.jpg
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12