+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jamaica Cottage Shop feedback?

Default Jamaica Cottage Shop feedback?

I'm looking to put up a sugar shack in relatively short order. Any feedback on a Jamaica Cottage Shop sugarhouses?
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 235 Taps

I'm not familiar with their quality, but the prices look OK, both in pre cut kit and fully assembled. What size are you looking at?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Quote Originally Posted by maple flats View Post
    I'm not familiar with their quality, but the prices look OK, both in pre cut kit and fully assembled. What size are you looking at?
    16x20 is about as big as i can stuff into the space i have.

I've seen their prices, and to be honest can't believe them. I just got finished (well, final touches left) of a 16x24. Granted, my walls were taller than theirs, bit still, very economical compared to mine. To the point I don't know if it is built cheaply. Never seen one in person to know, however.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

after building my 24x30+overhang pole barn a few years ago, i've learned that it will always be cheaper to buy a kit than to source it all myself. They've got mixed reviews online. mostly good, and a few not so great reviews, mostly from people who apparently didn't understand the skillset needed to put it together themselves or people that changed their minds on what they wanted.

my thought is with the 16x20 i can get by with my 30"x10' evaporator in there for a few years and then upgrade to an RO and then go down a size in the evaporator department. a friends 12' wide sugar shack works, but barely for him in my opinion.

I built a small (8'X12') sugar shack from a Jamaica Cottage kit about 2 year ago.

I had a very positive experience. The lumber is Hemlock and Pine and is pre-cut and well labeled. Instructions are pretty straight forward and I have only middling carpentry skills. When I had a question, I would just call their office and they get a answer to me pretty quickly. Very nice people to deal with.

Also, the lumber they provide in the kit is dimensional lumber and of good quality.

Here's a couple of photos of mine:

Sugar Shack 2.jpg

Test boil 1.jpg

After I built the sugar shack, I added a shed roof on the side for wood storage. I also got this from Jamaica Cottage as well.

Mark
    Mason 2x4 w/raised flue pan, 240 gal. sap tank, 80 Reds on 5/16 tubing and Lunchbox releaser/pump, 20 sugars on buckets

I spoke with JCS today. They promise delivery in 4-6 weeks. I told them i'll buy one at the end of the week if they can promise me delivery by Feb 1. even then, it is cutting it extremely close, but i just don't see any other options for getting a shack together this season. They're supposed to call me back with a firm answer tomorrow.

Good luck. Will it be a kit or ready assembled?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

The use of Hemlock in the kit set off a couple of alarm bells in my head.
    It’s good wood for construction if it’s milled, dried and graded properly.

If poorly dried it’ll warp. Shake can be a big problem with this wood as it can split along its length. Large knots, of course, weaken it.

That said, I wouldn’t hesitate to use it, it will actually strengthen over time, just know what you are dealing with.

If it were me, I’d use screws rather than nails.
    Place suspect pieces where there will be lighter live and dead loads.
    Be prepared to run to the lumber yard to replace unsuitable pieces.
    Paint it at your first opportunity.
    42.67N 84.02W

350 taps- 300 on vacuum, 50 buckets
    JD gator 625i Sap hauler w/65 gal tank
    Leader 2X6 drop flue

Homemade auto draw-off
    Homemade preheater
    Homebrew RO, 2- xle-4040's
    LaPierre double vertical releaser
    Kinney KC-8 vacuum pump

12X24 shack
    Lots of chickens and a few cats.

Which one are you looking to get?? Good call on the kit Matt. For what it costed me in materials and time spent designing my 12'x12' "sugar shack trailer" the kits look really nice. You are correct the 12'x12' for my 2'x4' pan is a little tight. I wanted to go for a 16'×12' but I don't think I could of moved it. Would love to make a small second shed for a future RO and storage, shhhh don't tell my wife. The shack makes a big difference on those cold and windy nights.
    Last edited by Stiets; 01-03-2018 at 10:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast