+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Tapping

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrassbumpkins View Post
    Another question for you all that have years of experience...Should I be worried that only about half of my taps flowed over this warm-up? Do certain trees perform better year after year? Or does it vary by season? I just didn't know if the trees that didn't put out sap this year should not be tapped in future years. Is it odd for trees near eachother to perform quite drastically....for example, one fills the bucket and the other bucket is dry? Thanks for any responses and your time taken to give them!
    I have some that are not running or not running well. I have discarded some that didn't perform well and I've also tapped them again in hopes that they would do well. I've found out that it varies by season, by tree and by time of the season. They may end up running at some point but I would make note of them for future purposes.
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

Thanks for the responses. Today's flow seemed much better....most all of the trees were flowing and dripping well when we collected! Hopefully we will just continue to learn as we go. We actually burnt our first batch tonight on the new evaporator. I guess it is much more efficient than we expected! All good experiences in learning...it burnt in just the short 35 minutes we went to collect for the day At least it wasn't a huge batch close to finishing....we had just started so it was only about 15 gal or so. Luckily hubby thinks he welded and fixed the warped pan again to be used!

I’m sorry to hear of you burning a batch. It can happen in just a blink. If you have a bucket of clean water or sap sitting by you might get one ready. If things start looking bad you can dump in a bucket and buy some time.

My lines were flowing good yesterday also. I collected about 120 gallons by afternoon. I’m anxious to see how much I have this morning.

Here is a little video of how well it was running. (No sound)

https://youtu.be/AhIzwXrzt1k
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

One last thought...I have found that the acid rinse that is used to clean milking equipment, when used fairly strong sure makes cleaning a scorched pan a lot easier, and that is from a lot of experience. Sorghum scorches as fast or faster than syrup and I have thrown out several batches. Tractor Supply sells it by the gallon.
    Sorghum Producer
    60 Bee Hives
    200 Acres of Ky hills
    225 Taps on Gravity
    2018 - Lapierre 2X8 Storm
    1963 Military M37 Sap Hauler
    and if things get tough...M35A2
    youtube videos

Wow! Awesome video!! I have collected my 25th gallon today. Trees are hit and miss? Im getting some really good flow from some and the trees right next to them that look as good or maybe even a little better are producing nothing? Hopefully the weather gets back down below freezing a couple of nights this week.

Thanks for the suggestions and video! We love getting advise. We did get to cook the sap down Fri and got 5 quarts of pure maple sweetness! We are looking forward to another run .... it looks like next weekend will be good weather!

Got my 35th gallon yesterday. Did a boil down. Was really sweet! Weather looking good towards the end of the week!!

It sounds like everyone's season is going great. My sugar content has been running at 2% but I've noticed this last run has dropped a little in sugar content.
    Last edited by jnwill0; 01-30-2018 at 02:58 PM.
    Jeremy Williams
    "In the deep dark hills
    of Eastern Kentucky."

We had a short flow here in Harlan, I collected another 4 & 1/2 gallons, bringing the two day total to 8 gallons. I don't think they'll flow anymore for a couple of days with this freeze coming. The sugar content has dropped to just above 1% now. I've noticed it dropping the past couple of runs and the syrup is getting a little darker, but just as sweet.

Im at 66 gallons collected here for the season. Had some really good flow this week. Done a couple of boil downs. Hoping for another 25 gallons or so before its over.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast