+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: CT 2018 Maple Season Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Calycanthus View Post
    Collected about 275 gallons. Sugar was running lower than earlier runs.
    Yes, I take the primitive cup the hand and taste the sap method and yesterday I noticed less sugary sap. Ill check with the hydrometer back at the shack. A couple of sugar moths too!
    12 taps for 2009.
    30+ for 2010.
    30+ for 2011.
    2012- Still holding around 30+ with no help in sight.
    2013-Still a loner but what a Fantastic yielding year
    2014- Forever a loner
    2017-Still here, after trying to kick the habit.
    Down to 15-20 taps with the intent to save my marriage.

Sap Haulers- Kids NADA, I tried but I'm on my own.
    Buckets and Sap Saks, 4 steam pans, Block Evaporator, and single burner propane for finishing.

http://s778.photobucket.com/home/Valleyman_bucket

What 25 taps with 90 foot of elevation drop looks like on a heavy day. All gravity.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2016 25 taps on buckets got me hooked
    2017 51 taps on 3/16 tubing and DIY oil tank evaporator

been a busy few days here. have collected about 700 gallons since last saturday and boiled everything so far. I've been doing a lot of data collection this season to see get a better handle on things.

I now have a wifi enabled device that reads my tank depth via sonar from my main woods and sends information to my server at the house. i get text messages every 10% increase in the tank too. It has been awesome for reducing trips to check on the flow in the woods, it's only 5 minutes away, but it saves tons of time and anxiety. at a glance i can check the level and i can look at the recent history to get an idea how much time i have left until the tank is full and needs to be pumped out.
    20180214_163214.jpg

We also put tank flow monitors in the shack, one to monitor volume going into the head tank (seasonal cumulative). and then i also have a flow rate monitor going into the evaporator. since i don't have an operational float valve. i control it with a ball valve. this gives me a good baseline to monitor real-time evaporation rates. I monitor the flow rates real-time in the sugar house via a tablet.
    Screenshot_2018-02-17-00-03-21.jpg

The next phase is implementing another device to run temperature probes and monitor temp in the pans, it will support up to 5 probes. the end goal is to run an auto-draw off valve, but for now the plan is to have an audible tone to alert that it's time to draw off.
    2016 - 36 Taps - File Cabinet Arch + Food Pans
    2017 - 2.5'x10' drop flues - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - 122 Taps
    2018 - 16x20 Sugar Shack - 3/16 Natural Vacuum - aiming for 200

Busy here in Kent too, finally after almost 2 weeks off - Hope 70 on Wed. doesn't mess things up - 70, really? Well at least this snow will be gone - The ice finally left the driveways a few days ago, tough to get around on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234