+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Virginia 2018

Default Virginia 2018

It's looking better this year guys. I plan to start taking the buckets to the trees after the New Year. I want them there so when I'm ready to drill that part is out of the way. Looking like a mid January start for me. Unless it stays too cold. So far it's a completely different weather pattern than last years heat wave. Fingers cross for a sweet year.

where are you in VA

I'm in Briery Branch. It's about 20 minutes west of Harrisonburg.

Homer,
    I may have asked before are the buckets on the Cooper Mountain Road beside Dry River yours or another syrup producer?
    The other question I'm curious about do you think there is enough ground moisture to get a good run? Spring of 2000 was some what like this and when I opened trees some of them did not run, producer friends in Highland County also had the same thing happen to them, trees near a stream would run when opened, hillside trees would not, every year is different, when repairing tubing last week trees was dripping from broken twigs once the temp. went above 40 degrees. Not a hard drip though, maybe because it was not warm enough!
    Mark 220 Maple
    1100 taps on low vaccum, 900 on gravity.
    900 plus taps leased and on high vacuum
    35 cfm Indiana Liquid Ring Vacuum Pump
    80% Sugar, 20% Red MAPLES
    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...Maple%20Syrup/

Good luck to you guys this year! Im in East Tennessee and very tempted to tap next week. I will likely wait. I think I'm going to use check valve taps this year. A guy I talked to while in VT this summer swore by them. Said they would keep holes open through warm spells. Anyway , I'm gonna be checking in here from time to time since theres no TN forum and you guys are close.

Those are not my buckets. I do know where you are talking about though. I'm not sure about the moisture. This is only my 4th year doing it. All my trees are within 200 yards of a small river. However that river is as dry as I've seen it for this time of year. It should be rolling and it's not. It's for sure dry.

+ Reply to Thread