+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bulk syrup changes

Default Bulk syrup changes

Yesterday I received a note from Countryside Hardware, in DeRuyter, NY that starting in 2018 they will not buy bulk syrup in any barrels under 30 gal. They said their end buyer will not take the smaller sizes. They also will not accept partial barrels.
    While I only sell bulk if I end up with any commercial syrup, I had recently sold all but 3 of my 30-40 gal bbls in favor of the Inovaweld 26.5 gal barrel. It just works so much better for me. I had intended to put my last 2 @30gal and one @40 gal in the VVS auction. I guess I'll need to keep them in case I end up making any commercial.
    Has anyone else heard about other bulk buyers refusing smaller size barrels?
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

Maple Grove has been refusing anything under 30 for several years. Said it was a safety issue. One reason I don’t take to them.
    William
    950 taps
    3 X 12 Thor pans on a Brian Arch
    CDL 600 expandable

any chance you know the current price of bulk syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by mapleguy View Post
    any chance you know the current price of bulk syrup?
    Last weekend they were paying $2.10 lb for golden, $2.00 for amber and $1.95 for dark at Bascom's. Sad but true!
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

1930 Ford Model AA Doodlebug tractor
    A couple of Honda 4 wheelers
    Four chainsaws and no chickens!

Bascoms deduct 5 cents a pound for 5 gallon containers. To my knowledge they don’t for any other size.
    I don’t blame them in a way. Having to handle hundreds if not thousands of small containers and wash them all is a serious pain in the ***.

[QUOTE=Russell Lampron;338229]Last weekend they were paying $2.10 lb for golden, $2.00 for amber and $1.95 for dark at Bascom's. Sad but true![/QUOTE

Wow, remember when people would hold onto barrels until the fall/winter to get a better ' price than thr previous spring
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

[QUOTE=Maplewalnut;338234]
    Quote Originally Posted by Russell Lampron View Post
    Last weekend they were paying $2.10 lb for golden, $2.00 for amber and $1.95 for dark at Bascom's. Sad but true![/QUOTE

Wow, remember when people would hold onto barrels until the fall/winter to get a better ' price than thr previous spring
    The Canadians set the price and the value of the dollar determines the exchange rate which the US packers use to set the price that they pay. The exchange rate would be the reason for any increase or decrease in the price they will pay here. If you are going to sell to Bascom's they will still take 5 gallon containers but give you $.05 less per pound.
    Russ

"Red Roof Maples" Where the term "boiling soda" was first introduced to the maple world!

Still paying $2.50/lb for delicate and amber here in Ohio. Must be filtered with sample bottle.prefer larger drums but know it doesn't all ways work for the producer.
    Last edited by fred; 12-25-2017 at 11:32 AM.
    Fred Ahrens
    330-206-1606
    Richards Ohio Maple Equipment
    Ohio CDL sales rep
    LaPierre Dealer
    H&M maple fabricator Dealer
    Service Tech/repair for all brands and electronics

don't take life too serious, nobody gets out alive anyways!

Is bascom buying syrup again? Last I heard they were not taking any until September 2018?

Quote Originally Posted by bairdswift View Post
    Is bascom buying syrup again? Last I heard they were not taking any until September 2018?
    Yes they are. I didn't know that they weren't. I sold them some on 12/16.
    Russ

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast