+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Reds and 3/16 tubing

Default Reds and 3/16 tubing

So my experience with tapping reds (drop lines to buckets) has been a bit frustrating so far. To put it simply, some run and some don’t. From what I have read others have hade similar experiences. I have also read that adding vacuum can greatly improve sap production from reds that produced next to nothing on buckets.

What I am wondering is do natural vacuum 3/16 tubing systems work well on exclusively reds? I have a enough of reds on a nice slope to run some lines but don’t want to waste time and money if it won’t work.

Thanks for any info. First post by the way.

My experience with red maples mirrors that of yours and others. On gravity alone they may or may not run. With vacuum, their volume is pretty close to sugar maples. 3/16 with good fall produces vacuum using gravity so they become vacuum taps. Your reds will have a significant increase in production with a 3/16 system with good fall and no leaks.

Agree, reds need vacuum (whether natural or pump)but you will be happy once you coax some sap out.
    CDL 2x8
    Around 4000 taps
    Polaris ATVs, Ski Doo snowmobiles to get around
    Atlas Copco pumps
    Lapierre two post RO

http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...Sugar%20shack/

Thanks! I may try running some lines at some point. But I think I will need to up grade my evaporator first, I don’t think the 55 gallon drum with steam table pans will be up for more sap.

3/16 vacuum will help considerably on reds. You need at least 15 and up to 30 taps on a single line to get the best results and the slope must be at least 15' drop, 30+ is by far best, but it will work with less.
    Dave Klish, I recently ordered a 2x6 wood fired evaporator from A&A Sheet Metal which I will be converting to oil fired
    Now have solar, 2x6 finish pan, 5 bank 7x7 filter press, large water jacketed bottler, and tankless water heater.
    Recently bought another Gingerich RO, this one was a 125, but a second membrane was added thus is a 250, like I had.
    After running a 2x3, a 2x6, 3x8 tapping from 79 taps up to 1320 all woodfired, now I'm going to a 2x6 oil fired and a 200-425 taps.

+ Reply to Thread